Family secret

Pax

They say every family has their secrets, and ours did not differ from anyone else's. We hid it better. A few family members knew a particular mystery but didn't elaborate on it.

With the recent issues I had, Dr. Shaw pulled medical files on family members with his dad's help, who treated the family. Both scoured through data on my family's medical history until something caught their attention.

"That makes little sense," JJ told his dad.

"What does?" Jordan asked.

"Is it possible it can skip a generation?" JJ asked.

"It depends on genetics. Different disorders can pass to other family members without hitting the person directly. It's the same with the brain," Jordan explained.

"No wonder this kid acts the way he does," JJ mentioned.

"JJ, you need to contact the family immediately," Jordan advised JJ.

"How do you approach a situation without hell breaking loose?" JJ asked.

"You use the direct approach," Jordan advised.

It's a call that no one expected when Dr. Shaw contacted my parents, along with my grandparents. My grandparents contacted my uncles. He drove to Oakridge to speak to my family, informing them of his findings.

Nash

We met with Paxton's doctor. He explained to us the situation with Pax and what he uncovered. Lex didn't take it well.

"No way," Lex said, standing up and looking at everyone. "There's no way that my ma has issues like this. Right, Ma?" Lex asked, looking at Mags, who looked at me.

Lex looked at us, stunned.

"Lex, we didn't tell anyone because it's not something you discuss. With the health issues your mom had, it didn't help when you add anxiety to the mix," I explained.

"But Ma is okay," Lex mentioned.

"Yeah, but it wasn't always that way. We found out when your mom got sick. We told no one," I reasoned.

My brothers stood there, quiet, which is unusual for them. They're planning something.

Lex walked over to Mags. "Why didn't you tell us?" Lex asked her.

"Because we took care of it. For years, I worried about no one wanting or loving me. It didn't help that your father was a tool," Mags said.

"Hey!" I exclaimed.

"Well, it didn't," Mags told me. I sighed.

"Does Nana and Grampa know?" Lex asked.

"No, because we didn't tell your grandparents," Mags answered.

"Lex, it's not the end of the world. So, your mom is a nutcase. We're used to it," Nixon mentioned.

We looked at Nixon like he lost his damn mind.

"Trust us; it explained so much about Maggie because she's nuts," Nathan added.

"Really?" I asked Nathan.

"It's true," Nathan said, shrugging.

"You're not helping," I told Nathan.

"Who cares? Maggie is crazy, and you're a tool," Noah told me.

"You're not helping either," I informed Noah.

"God, you all suck at this. Yes, Maggie has anxiety and created more issues than we needed. She took her happy pills. Now we're here. Can we move forward?" Nolan asked.