A beginning and an ending

Presley

My parents set up a party and invited family and Eliza to it. They decided to do a joint party for Eliza and me. Grandpa helped with the food while Nana supplied the desserts. I helped my brothers set everything up, then my phone rang.

I answered it, talked to the person, then hung up. My brothers looked at me.

"I got to go. The station is short because two guys are out in injuries," I said.

"Presley," Payton said.

"It's a life of a paramedic," I said, shrugging. I walked away and went inside the house.

Pops looked at me. "Where are you going?" Pops asked.

"The station called. They're short-handed," I answered.

"Presley," Pops said.

"My shift shouldn't last long. Save me some food," I said, going upstairs to change. I put my uniform on and left the house, then drove to the station and reported for my shift. Eliza arrived and is out on a call.

I climbed into the back of a rig and closed the door.

"Good of you to join us, Gray," Anderson mentioned.

I rolled my eyes. "Stop busting my balls, Anderson," I ordered. He laughed as we went on a call.

My brothers finished setting up for the party. My shift would end when other paramedics showed up to relieve Eliza and me. People started arriving for the party while we were on runs. The runs weren't bad as we answered calls.

We returned to the station as a few guys showed up to relieve Eliza and me. Tonight, I planned to propose to Eliza at the party. Eliza and I were leaving when the bell sounded.

"All hands on deck, there's a fire at an apartment building at West Road and Fourth Street," the captain announced.

Eliza and I suited up in fire gear as we climbed into a rig. We sat in the back as the dispatcher came over the radio.

Attention all rescue, fire is escalating, and we have reports of children missing.

"Paramedic Anderson en route to a fire. Ladder 52 is following," Anderson called into the dispatcher.

Copy that.

Sirens blared as we made our way to the apartment fire. We arrived as firefighters took the lead.

"Gray, you're with me. Shields will stay with Roberts," Anderson ordered.

I nodded as I pulled on a mask along with a tank. Our job was to go in, find life, and keep the person alive. I followed Anderson along with the firefighters. As the firefighters busted doors in with axes, they checked for people. Any person we found, we administered medical help as firefighters took them out of the building.

We moved swiftly through the building, searching for people. I came across a child and pulled out a mask. I put it on the child, then lifted the little girl into my arms as I carried her through the burning building.

"I want my mommy," the little girl said through her mask.

"Stay with me, and I will find your mommy," I assured the little girl as I hurried.

Get everyone out of the building! It's ready to collapse! I heard someone yell over the radio. The smoke became thick and engulfed us as I moved. I shielded the little girl.

"Everyone get out now!" The fire chief yelled as we rushed through the building, then I heard a crackling and turned to see the ceiling collapsed.

Lex

Everyone arrived at the party, and we waited on Presley and Eliza. Nolan's phone rang. He answered it.

"What do you mean you're working, Brody?" Nolan asked.

We looked at Nolan.

"Okay, be safe," Nolan said, hanging up.

We looked at Nolan.

"An apartment building caught fire. Brody has to report to the scene to make sure there aren't any casualties," Nolan explained.

The party continued for a few more hours. Nolan went into the house and heard a knock at the door. He answered it to see Brody standing there.

"I thought you were working?" Nolan asked Brody.

"I am. I need to speak with Lex and Piper," Brody said.

Nolan and Brody came out to the backyard.

"Lex!" Nolan yelled, waving me over to him.

Piper and I walked over to Nolan and Brody.

"I thought you were working," I mentioned.

"I am. I'm here on official police business. It's Presley," Brody said as everyone stopped and looked at him.

My heart sank. Piper and I left with Brody, leaving everyone worried.

The boys walked over to Nolan as Nolan looked at the boys along with the family. What happens next will alter everything with our family. It will show what the Gray legacy means.

To continue in The Gray Family: Legacies.