The final paper

Pat

Britt and I scanned the journals and created a story as our last paper. It took us three days to write, edit, and polish it. We argued during the process. Never write a paper with your girlfriend.

The last day of the class arrived, and we went to class, sitting down in our seats. After the students sat down, the professor walked into the classroom.

"Morning, everyone. Today is the day you turn in your last paper, but I changed the assignment," the professor announced, earning a collective gasped from the classroom.

"What? That's not fair!" Students yelled.

As the class yelled about the teacher changing the assignment, he stood there, watching us. People stopped and sat in their seats, grumbling.

"Most of you will give a generic story with the same theme writers use. It's not wrong, but it's not what I want from all of you. What I want is someone to come up here and tell us a story. You," the professor said, choosing me. "Come, tell us a story. Let's see if you understood the course."

I got up and made my way down to the front of the classroom. I stood in front of the class.

"You have our attention," the professor said, sitting down in his seat.

I looked at everyone as I took a deep breath.

It was a dark and dreary night. Just kidding, it's night, but it wasn't gloomy, and it's dark. It's night, duh. People are way too severe and treat life like it's this horrible thing.

Bad things happen. We get it. Let's move along, shall we?

That is one reason I refuse to watch the news. It's too dark and miserable, always reporting the bad and never the good, pft.

In case you're wondering, my name is Lucille Adams. I'm eighteen and enjoying life to the fullest. My parents worry that I need to settle down and fear that they are boring. I'm eighteen, not eighty.

I just graduated high school and skipped college. It wasn't for me. I'm done with school. So, I got a job. Hey, I can still have fun and act responsibly. I do need money to pay for said fun; logic 101.

I went to work at a store stocking shelves, and wasn't bad. I got to meet new people and make fun of said people. It's all good.

Well, that was before Grayson Gray came along, downer.

Everyone looked at me with surprise. The teacher sat forward as I continued telling my story, weaving information from Grammy Gray's journal. I changed my voice from high pitched to deep as I talked, taking on the roles of Grammy Gray and Grandpa Grayson. The class laughed as did the professor.

I finished my story and looked at the professor. I didn't what they thought or if they liked or hated it. Then the professor started clapping, as did the class. I guess they loved it.

"Now, that's a story," the professor announced.

I went back to my seat.

"It's interesting that you chose this story to tell. Explain your reason," the professor said to me.

"Lucille and Grayson are my great-great-grandparents. Grammy Gray kept journals of her life with Grandpa Gray, along with my other grandparents and family. People thought she was crazy," I explained.

"Was your Grammy crazy?" The teacher asked.

"No, Grammy saw situations realistically and enjoyed life," I answered.

"What did you learn from this assignment?" The professor questioned.

"That life isn't terrible. It has those moments where you think it is, but someday you look back on it and laugh. Laughter is key; it keeps us young," I replied.