The truth shall set you free, maybe

Nixon

I drove to the college and pulled up to the diner. I got out of the car and made my way into the restaurant, finding the person I came to see. I looked at the person as they looked at me.

"Hey, Britt," I said.

"Hey, Rev," Britt replied.

"Want to fill me in on what happened?" I asked and ordered a coffee.

"Well, the plan was working until my brother showed up," Britt mumbled.

"The same brother that no one knows about here," I mentioned.

Britt nodded. "It's because of my dad. He hates you guys a lot, and I don't know why?" Britt said.

"Maybe I can fill in the blanks," I replied.

Britt looked at me.

"When we were in college, on New Year's Eve, Mike and Sarah Tilson died in a car accident. Sarah was my brother's ex. We didn't find out later that they had a child who was your father," I explained.

Britt looked at me, stunned.

"There was bad blood between the families, but at the funeral, we figured things were cool until a lawsuit got filed," I said.

"My dad kept saying the Grays killed his parents. It got so bad that my brother left when I was a freshman in high school," Britt said.

"That's why the boys don't remember Samuel. Plus, they dealt with the Andrews family," I reasoned.

"I didn't want this to happen, but I love Pat. We can't help that the heart wants what the heart wants," Britt said.

I smiled. Sometimes we help to lead the heart. No matter what differences our family has, no child should suffer for it.

"Get your bag, and we'll clear this up," I said as Britt grabbed her bag. I followed her out of the diner, and we got into the car. I drove us to the house to fix this mess. When don't I fix messes?

Pat

I sat on the couch as Pax was plotting. I didn't have time for my brother's plotting. Parker and Payton walked in as Pax filled them in on his plans.

"You want us to do what?" Parker asked.

"We spy on Sam and uncover what he's hiding," Pax answered.

"Okay, Nancy Drew. How do you expect us to do that?" Payton asked.

"Kidnapping is effective," Pax suggested.

"Yeah, when people are acting like twits. You want us to kidnap some guy to find out his secret. Did Ma drop you on your head as a baby?" Parker questioned.

That's all it took as Pax and Parker fought. I kept working on my homework.

The door opened, and Hayden came in with Markus and Sam. What the hell? I stood up as Pax smacked Parker.

"Can someone tell me what's going on and why my roommate dragged me over here?" Sam asked.

"I'm curious myself," Markus mentioned.

"Because it's time for the truth," Hayden said.

"What truth?" Payton asked.

"That Sam isn't Sam," Hayden said.

"I knew it!" Pax yelled. We all looked at Pax. "Well, I did," Pax said, shrugging.

"If Sam isn't Sam, then who is he?" Parker asked.

"Britt," Hayden answered.

We did a double-take.

"Show them," Hayden said, pushing Sam to me.