Moving forward

Mason

I have my first date with Skylar. I kept it simple and acted like a gentleman. I didn't want to make the same mistake with Skylar as I did with Nora. The date was okay, but I don't think Skylar likes me in a romantic sense. Skylar didn't say it, but I could tell she hesitated with me because of Nora.

"What do you mean the date didn't go well?" Kaxon asked me.

"Well, we went to dinner, then a movie, and Skylar kissed my cheek. I tried to hold her hand, and she moved it away," I answered.

"Did you act like a tool?" Pax questioned.

I looked at Pax weirdly. "Really?" I asked, annoyance filling my tone.

"Well, you have that effect on people," Pax said, shrugging.

I became irritated.

"Did you talk to Skylar?" Pat asked me.

"I called Skylar the next day, and she said she couldn't talk. Later on, I sent a text. She replied that she was busy. I saw Skylar at school, and she avoids me," I answered with a look.

My cousins looked at me, speechless. I give up. What's the point? It didn't matter anymore. I focused on school since love isn't working for me. While my cousins were busy with their significant others, I studied.

I sat in the library, working on a paper, then got up to find a book that I needed. I scoured the bookcase and found it, then flipped through the pages. I walked back to the table, not paying attention, bumping into someone.

"Sorry," I mumbled.

"No worries," someone said.

I looked up from my book to see Skylar standing there, smiling.

"I came over to your house, and Kaxon said that you were at the library," Skylar mentioned.

"I figure I could work on my paper," I said.

We stood there, awkwardly.

"Can we talk?" Skylar asked.

I dreaded that question. Any time someone asks can we talk, it means one thing. I nodded as we went to another section of the library.

"What did you want to talk about, Skylar?" I asked, playing dumb.

"It's about the date we went on the other night," Skylar answered.

"Okay," I said, not sure where Skylar was going with this.

"I had fun, but I feel that you're not into me," Skylar told me.

I looked at Skylar, confused.

"Did I do something wrong?" Skylar asked.

"What?" I asked.

"I mean, is it because you're still hung up on Nora?" Skylar questioned.

"No," I answered.

"Then, do you dislike me?" Skylar inquired.

"What?" I asked with confusion.

Skylar turned and paced. "I think you're keeping your distance because of what happened with Nora. That's okay because I know it seems weird that Nora is my best friend and your ex. I don't want you to think that you have an obligation to me or anything," Skylar rambled.

While Skylar rambled, I took a chance. I made my way to her quickly and pulled Skylar into a kiss. The kiss started softly. Then, I deepened it. I dropped my book and placed my other hand on her cheek as I kissed Skylar. She put her hands on my waist, kissing me back.