Confidant (Sam Wilson)

I need ideas that don't strongly involve Wanda. I have a problem. What can I say, I like thinking about how Wanda established herself in the Avengers' family bond. TW: Mentioned self-harm and suicidal intentions. For scarlettromanof as congratulations for finishing her story Displaced. And to avoid confusion with that title- since I realize now it looks misspelled- confidant and confident are two different words. :)

///////////////////////////////////////////

Sam had heard about the new girl. Her name was Wanda Maximoff. She was nineteen years old- practically a little kid- and she was dangerous when messed with. She was a telepath, a bearer of telekinesis and chaos magic. This was what Sam had heard OF her.

He had yet to actually see or meet her. Though, sometimes when he would wake in the godforsaken hours of the early morning, he was pretty that he could hear her crying. He'd heard that she'd lost her twin brother in the battle with Ultron, and that it traumatized her. She wasn't eating, and no one really knew if she was sleeping or not. They assumed not.

Clint was the only one allowed in her room. She wouldn't talk to him, though. She'd barely even look at him. He'd set her food that she wouldn't touch on the bedside table, and leave after trying and failing to talk to her. This was the usual. Nat has tried once, but she couldn't in, even after trying to kick the door down.

So when Sam saw Wanda out on the balcony, he was surprised. Everyone else was away on a mission, he had been left to "watch" her. He hadn't expected to actually see her. She was sitting on the railing, her legs dangling down. There was something about her figure and his knowledge of her to set off warning bells in his mind. He walked up behind her, startling her. She almost fell, but instinctively tightened hr grip on the railing.

"You think I'm going to jump," She said, not even turning to him.

"I don't think that," Sam said truthfully. He walked up beside her, gently gripping her thin wrist. "I know you are. I can see it in the way you're sitting and the way you're looking down."

"You can read people pretty well, can't you?" She asked, still not looking at him.

"Not as well as you, I'm sure," He said, trying to remain calm. He had to think logically in order to talk her out of jumping. "But I'm a military therapist. I've seen a lot of people who have gone through h***."

"So you're a shrink. Wouldn't have been my first guess."

"What would your first guess have been?"

"I don't know. Maybe a doctor."

"Well, I'm a mental doctor, so you're not too far off."

"You can leave me alone, you know. I'm not gonna jump. You're just being paranoid."

"You're a terrible liar, Maximoff. Here's what would actually happen: I would leave. You would sit here for a few minutes until your telepathy tells you that I'm not keeping an eye on you anymore. And then you would look down for a second. You would hesitate. Then you'd push yourself off of the railing in some way. Your life might flash before your eyes. You'd regret jumping, or maybe not. You'd hit the ground; you'd die. It would all be over. Am I right or am I wrong?"

Wanda stayed silent for a minute before quietly answering. "You're wrong."

"I'm not. And it's not a horrible sin or something for you to want to jump."

"It's not?"

"No. I've seen plenty of people who have jumped and failed to succeed or tried to jump but couldn't. It's not weak. It's just heartbreaking. No one wants to hear about a suicide. I've failed to talk people out of it before, and that weighs down my conscious. But if you're convinced that you have to jump, and that there's nothing that you can do to make it better, go ahead.