Run and Hide (Wanda Maximoff)

Songfic. Run and Hide by Sabrina Carpenter

///////////////////////////////////////

'I don't wanna buy what they're sellin' these days. Sayin' feelin' and fallin' is all a mistake, no, no. And why does everybody look at young hearts feelin' love, like it's just a matter of time before they break? No, no.'

Wanda strummed her guitar, quietly singing. The lyrics of the song seemed to ring true. Love was precious, and it was worth it to experience it.

Sometimes love went away. Other times it stuck around. Love was a crazy thing, defying all of the odds. She didn't understand why everyone always assumed that young love never lasted. Of course it did. It was a rare thing, but it did.

Why did everyone have to be so pessimistic about love? Wanda didn't think that she would ever understand. To love was both a curse and a blessing, but you had to take that bad with the good, right? Enjoy the ride while it lasted?

'They started sayin', when you can't hide, run. When you can't run, hide. Started thinkin' love's a loaded gun. Nobody wants to fight.'

While she herself didn't understand why people were so pessimistic about love, she was afraid of it. Yes, it intrigued her deeply, and always had. But, it had also always hurt her. But she didn't regret loving. She was just scared of it happening again.

Ever since she had first gotten her powers, she had known her deepest fear. Losing the people that she loved. It didn't matter how. Death, loss of love, a breakup- it didn't matter. Wanda was scared of being left alone with no one there to love her. She was terrified of having those she loved be forever gone.

And, unfortunately, that wasn't an unusual occurrence for her.

So she avoided love. It was a loaded gun, bound to hurt someone. It was precious, and an experience everyone should have at least once. But Wanda had had her fill of it. She wanted nothing to do with it.

So she did what people advised. She stayed as far away from it as possible. If love ever came knocking again, she would run and hide.

She never wanted to hurt that way again.

'And when did we all start thinkin' that the world stops spinnin' in a kiss goodnight? And when did our heartbeat beatin' too fast stop meanin' it was worth the while?'

It had been a while since Wanda had romantically been with anyone. She had to have been about seventeen. She had dated the same boy off and on since she was thirteen. Pietro wasn't his biggest fan, but he put up with him because of Wanda's feelings. Wanda remembered the last time they'd spoken.

They were walking down the street towards his apartment building. She hugged her red shawl tighter around her shoulders. It was chilly.

"So, Wanda," Markus said.

"Yes?" She questioned, looking up at him.

"I love you. I love you so much," He confessed. They hadn't said such a thing to each other before.

Wanda smiled. "I love you, too."

They reached the door of the building. "Goodnight, moja láska." (My love)

"Goodnight." Wanda stood on her tiptoes. She was kissing his lips for the first time, despite how long they'd been dating. Her heart raced, and as Markus held her close, she could feel his racing, too.

The kiss deepened. He licked her lips, asking to be let in. Just as she was about to, an elderly woman snapped at them.

"Keep that your yourselves! If I see that again, I'll call the police!"