Day 11

Friday, April 17, 2020

School isn't meant to teach us, it's meant to brainwash us into obedient adults who don't even know their history/the history of the world properly.

Heroes? White. Catholic. Straight. Males.

Native Americans? They were happy to move for the whites!

Presidents? Never wrong!

War? Sad but needed.  

Nukes? We are burdened with a terrible responsibility to defend ourselves against others.

Gun laws? Everyone who owns a gun is a responsible adult!

Climate Change? Idk, sounds fake.

In reality....

Heroes? Are as diverse as human kind. Never mind race/ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender; so many people have done incredible things, not just the people our edited history speaks of.

Native Americans? Abused at every turn, tried to help the whites but were often exploited, ignored, or pushed to the side. They are still on reserves with little basic necessities.

Presidents? A mixed bag of good, bad, and grey. George Washington was awesome, but he did own slaves. Andrew Jackson was a monster. They aren't gods, they're just human.

War? Many could have been worked out via more negotiation, but no, let's just go to the guns and missiles after a couple months or days of "trying".

Nukes? Understandable why you want them, but if you claim we're "allies" why don't you get rid of them and work together peacefully?!

Gun laws? Needed! People are dying, children are dying in the streets and at home, in schools and places of worship and stores and bars and malls and places that should be safe.

Climate Change? Real and threatening the next generations, my generation. I may not have clean air to breathe in and clean oceans to swim in by the time I'm thirty. Things that I had just five years ago.

So go ahead, yell at me and my generation about how we're moody teens. It's not like we're watching our futures die in front of our eyes. It's not like we're the most depressed/anxious generation. It's not like we're held to high standards that are frankly impossible to reach in this day and age. It's not like we watch as people just a year or two older than us are gunned down in schools and the government does nothing, watch as climate changes our planet ineffably, watch as more and more of the ones we love along with ourselves fall into depression and anxiety and self harm and suicide as no one does anything, as our movements for basic human rights for all are denied again and again. 

It really makes me wonder why I lost my faith in the older generation. Why I tense up when my family talks down about my generation. Why I see so many of us repressing our emotions because if we didn't we would be overwhelmed by everything we see every single day. I wonder why America, I really wonder why...

Stay safe kiddos, put down that razor and pick up that piece of chocolate because you deserve it, don't ever forget that I love you all, every single one of you beautiful solar systems of light and darkness and peace and chaos and love.

All my platonic love <3<3

~Ink