Chapter 16

Karen's POV

"That's because I'm different!"

He opens his mouth to say something but Kevin interrupts him.

"Karen, shouldn't we...go to the park? It's getting late!" he reminds, checking his watch.

"Why are you guys going to the park?" asks Darius.

"We haven't seen the park properly yet," says Iris slightly tugging Kevin's arm. "Yesterday we couldn't complete the tour...and we also have some stuff to do." 

"They already know about Karen, Iris. You don't have to hide anything from them," Entonia tells, and Iris smile, sheepishly.

"Oh, okay. We need to uh...sort test her powers and just know how far she is in development," she says sounding quite uncertain.

"Can I be of any help?" Darius asks me but I shake my head.

"No, it's fine, I'm sure we can manage on our own," I reply and he hums in agreement.

"So, shall we?" Kevin stands up with Iris, offering his hand to me.

"Well, it was a pleasure meeting you Ms. Karen," he takes my hand and kisses it. I turn giddy at the fact that his plump lips just touched my skin but manage to give him a wide smile and keep it neutral. "Ms. Iris," he does the same to her and finally addresses Kevin, shaking his hand firmly.

We bide goodbye to the rest of the party and head to the park, goofing around like we usually do and both me and Iris receiving piggyback rides from Kevin. 

"Now what about me?" he asks after dropping me down.

"How can we give you a piggyback ride? I will break!" Iris giggles.

"Not you dear," he assures and then smirks at me.

"Nope, don't even think about it!" I warn him.

"Oh come on, I don't weigh that much to you! You're strong now remember!"

"No, no, no, no chance!"

"Come on, I gave you one! Please, I haven't got a piggyback ride since I was like 9 or 10." he pleads. "I wanna feel the feeling of a piggyback ride," 

I look at Iris but shrugs.

"Come on, it's a test, Karen! Go for it!" she encourages.

"Okayyyy... fine! Hop on bud!" I give in. His widest smile spreads across his face when he gets behind me and I don't have to bend down because he's is quite tall. He hops on easily, wrapping his arms around my shoulders.

Contrary to what I expected, Kevin doesn't feel heavy at all. I feel like I am carrying a small toddler.

"This feeeeeels sooooo goooood!" he howls, shattering my eardrum into a million pieces.

"Don't howl in my ear, Kevin!" I scold.

***

"So you passed your first test!" declares Iris.

"I might ask for those rides again, it felt so good!" Kevin tells, dreamily.

I smile "You didn't feel heavy at all! So no probs, I'll happily give you one but only if I also get one in return as well."

"Now, what next?" asks Iris.

"Let's check the vision!" Kevin suggests.

We stand at a point in the park which looks into the lake on the other side of the palace. The view is fabulous, with small boats floating on the water to the beautiful white swans swimming in groups.

"How far can you see, Karen?" asks Kevin.

"I can see the end of the lake, although...." I strain my sight, "it's not very clear. The small boats, the swans and dry leaves floating on the water..." I look at Kevin whose eyes are the size of saucepans and if he doesn't close his mouth right now, some random insect may go inside.

"You can see the end of the freaking lake?" Iris asks.

"Yeah...wait, let me guess, you can't?" I guess.

"We can barely see the water properly. To be precise, we can see the water and the big ripples...that's it. Nothing more!" replies Kevin.

"If you can really see all those details, Karen, your powers are developing super fast!" Iris declares and I smile.

It was only yesterday that I even started showing them.

"How about we take a look at your speed?" suggests Kevin.

"Let's have a small running race. From here to till that tree over there." Iris proposes, pointing to a tree far from us. "And you two," she points at us, "Don't tease me afterward because I won't win," she warns and Kevin gives her a thumbs up.

We take our positions with me in between Kevin and Iris.

"Ready?" he asks and I nod in confirmation. "Go!" he yells and we sprint.

I sprint across the path with all my might, the cool breeze slapping against my face as I run. My face scrunches up in frustration as I struggle to pick up my pace. My legs are moving as fast as they could. I use all my strength in catching up with Kevin but barely reach him when he slaps the truck of the tree hard with his palm.

"I won!" he declares, panting heavily.

"My speed hasn't increased one bit!" I pant,

His eyes focus behind me. "Where's Iris?" he asks and I look behind me to the path across where we ran.

"I am here!" she shouts, way far from us. She walks to our panting selves but behind her...far behind her I see the silhouette of a man. 

Darius? What is he doing here?

"You guys were too fast so I didn't want to waste my energy trying to catch up," Iris explains. "And you are sooooo fast!" she wraps her arms around Kevin's neck and he kisses her forehead. 

Cute! They look really cute!

"Have you guys kissed yet?" I ask.

Kevin shakes his head. "Nope, I want it to be perfect!" he replies wrapping his arms around her.

"Darius is coming, I'll just go talk to him!" I say turning in his direction.

Yeah, I'll just give them some privacy to the lovebirds. 

*************

A/N: I hope you liked this chapter.