Chapter 55

Iris' POV

The whole time we descend the stairs, I think about how in the name of Etine Silvus Floarea, are we going to climb up. I loathe climbing the stairs. And look at how fate has turned out for me.

To reach the end, we take five hours. Five freaking hours of climbing down the stairs and stopping multiple times, mainly because I and Kevin get super exhausted. I drain myself off loads of water, and then gulp down a bottle of my orange juice as well once we reach the dark end of the hole. Kevin does the same, so I am glad to be not the only one.

When we began our descend, it was just plain boring rocks but as we went a lot deeper, say halfway through, we find the first raw gem. It was stuck in a rock, the blood-red ruby. As we went deeper and deeper, we start finding sapphires as well but find no emeralds or other stones as such. Diamonds was what I was most excited about.

We find them the closest to the end. Surrounded by a wall of diamonds gleaming dully in the torchlight, I climb down, both exhausted and mesmerized by the beauty of it. Walls of raw and natural diamonds stuck in between dull rocks greet us at the bottom of the hole.

"Cool yeah?" Caspian asks and I nod.

"Actually, your fins shine better than them." Kevin comments and I blush.

Darius looks around. "There must be gold in here too, but we may not recognize them. Those are for the experts," he says.

"Here, take a look at this. I thought it might be gold." Kevin says, handing Caspian a piece of some rock.

"You seriously found gold as well?!" Caspian exclaims, holding up the stone.

We examine the rock, eventually confirming it to be gold, and then agree to dig up some on our way back.

"The Borat was found here right?"

"Here in the deepest point of the mine, where the diamonds are found, they found the Borat and then stopped mining forever," Caspian explains rather dramatically.

"You could have just said yes," Karen says and I snort, earning a glare from him.

"So we search this entire place for any clues and I swear if we don't find anything, I'm going to lose my shit. There were way too many stairs!" I say.

"Same here, all I got was a bunch of minerals." agrees Kevin.

"Isn't that a good thing?" asks Karen.

"Guys....let's start searching, yeah?" Darius says.

"So there are five of us, two of us go right and three of us go left," Karen announces.

"Me, Kevin, and Caspian, one team!" I say. "But before that, since we are like three thousand feet below sea level, the pressure is high in here, so we all might find some difficulties with breathing. I don't know why we aren't facing it already considering we are way too deep below sea level-"

"We don't face such difficulties in Eponine, Iris." Caspian puts in, chuckling, and I breathe a sigh of relief.

We split our paths to start searching for the stuff we came looking for.

We roam around for around forty-five minutes with no clue, the bits of rocks and diamonds rolling under my feet as I lazily drag my legs to walk. I sneak in some snacks into my mouth when Caspian and Kevin aren't looking, because for some reason I can't explain, I'm still feeling hungry after all that food I just ate a while ago.

Just as I'm about to sneak another cookie into my precious mouth, a strong hand grabs my wrist.

"How many will you sneak in, Iris?" scolds Caspian.