Chapter 51

Karen's POV

"Why in god's name would you kill Tefis, Darius? And when did you even do that?" Caspian asks while Iris sits scowling, behind him.

"Oh come on, he was such a pain in the ass. He wouldn't leave me alone," he answers.

"So you really killed him?" I ask.

"Why else do you think Kaya would loathe me that much?" he chuckles. 

Where was the sweet and pure Darius that I knew? This one sounds... so evil.

"And you were the one who figured the map. Why did that lead us to Kaya?" Caspian asks.

"It was a mistake, alright. Everyone makes mistakes." he defends.

"You should have given it to Iris." I say.

"Well, the mistake actually helped you, didn't it?" he asks.

"What if the one that got injured was Iris and not me? She could have died today!" I shout.

"She didn't, did she? All of us are alive and that's all that matters!"

"Guys, just stop!" Kevin orders. "We're not going to argue about this alright. Nevertheless, we at least knew about getting the sword-key, from Kaya," he says.

And that shuts everyone up.

*****

We reach the Ruins of Syenna the next day. The monks welcome us with grandeur as much as possible by them and served us food and drinks despite our protests. When they hear about me, their hospitality and praise only increase even more.

The head monk, or Glonis as named, was especially glad to see me. Unfortunately, he never knew whatever happened in Eponine, me being born and abandoned, the Borat being stolen, my father going on exile, his death, nothing. So technically I had to explain everything. In the end, he was shocked to know all that but nevertheless agreed to mold the sword for us.

We all were taken underground, into the depths of the ruins where the sword's mold was heavily guarded. For some reason, the monks' gaze keeps lingering on Iris as she shyly walks with Caspian.

"What creature might this fair friend of yours be, princess?" asks Glonis.

"She is a hybrid, Glonis. A mermaid-human hybrid." I answer. Glonis looks and at Iris who smiles shyly at him.

"My, my, my...Delmar has finally achieved his goal. How did that happen, little one?" Glonis asks Iris. She then explains all of it.

Us reaching the Dark Forest, feeling horribly thirsty, her drinking the water from his lake, her dying, him appearing, mine and Delmar's powers colliding to revive her, and lastly....her rising as a mermaid.

Hearing all that makes it feel like a lifetime ago. The sorrow we faced when we realized she was gone. All the emotions I felt when, when Delmar showed up. The confusion, the shock, the relief, everything.

Once she is done, she sighs. Caspian immediately wraps her in a hug, her face shielded from all of us in his chest.

Glonis also explains to us why he asked that. Apparently, her mermaid energy has been attracting all the virgin monks like a moth drawn to fire, and therefore they could sense that she was no ordinary human.

Glonis opens the huge stone doors to the vault. I am met with a room that is pitch black, like it...it is blacker than black, considering that this is about fifty feet underground and the vault has been shut for over a thousand years. Absolute silence envelops the surroundings, except for all our breathing and footsteps.