Chapter 39

A/n: So the new chapter is here, and sorry I didn't update yesterday since I had some work and if I hurried to update you guys will have gotten a shitty chapter! So I took my time a wrote something which I feel is great.

Warning! A big roller coaster ahead! 

************

Karen's POV

Forest is pitching black now. I can easily tell that night has fallen and not a trace of moonlight is to be seen anywhere. Iris is back with Caspian, and I am with Darius but on a different horse. I strapped the dimmed torches to Darius' and Caspian's torsos so that the path which we travel through is visible.

Although we do have a source of light, the intensity of the darkness beginning to wear me out. Like, when the torches are switched off, if I try waving my hand in front of me, I won't even see it.

I keep my arms wrapped around Darius, as we girls who are sitting behind the men, keep looking for any sort of dangers lurking behind the shadows. It can be the intense darkness causing hallucinations, but sometimes I feel like I see something behind the trees.

We rested for almost four hours, and when we woke up it was evening. Now night has fallen and my watch says it's 8 pm. Still, ten more hours for the sun to rise. The temperature around us begins to drop and in around an hour or so, it's chilling us to the bone. We stop for a while, to put on our jackets and gloves, and then resume moving again.

Only in the morning can we see the surroundings properly and actually track where we have reached. Right now we are moving according to Iris' and Darius' directions using the compass.

We all stay silent and currently the only sounds that are heard our breathings. I cling harder to Darius for warmth and rub my face on his back.

"Pudding, what are you doing?" he whispers –laughs.

"You're so warm!" I say while continuing to rub my face. Although I prefer his chest, now I've got only his back. Suddenly, I hear the faint, very faint, splash of water, and a foul smell reaches my nose but I feel my throat dry up.

"Guys, can you smell that?" I ask.

Iris sniffs the air. "I can't smell anything but I feel thirsty, where's the water Caspian?" she asks Caspian who looks for the water but pulls out an empty bottle. She whines and falls back on Caspian's back.

"Guys I think there is a water source somewhere nearby, I heard a splash just now!" I say.

"Can you sense the direction?" asks Caspian.

"Sort of, but if we move towards that direction, won't we lose our current path?" I ask.

"We are heading east currently, which direction are you talking about," Iris asks. I sniff the air and stop my head where the scent is stronger.

"Which is this direction?" I ask.

"That is east."

"Great, okay so we'll head there!" I say.

As we keep moving, the dryness in my throat increases. I repeatedly swallow my saliva, in order to lubricate my throat but in vain. And for some random reason, I don't feel good about heading in the direction of whatever water body that is. What scares me is that it's that same feeling I got when Iris was in that alley the night she was almost kidnapped.

"Guys, I don't feel so good about this," I say and we all halt.

"What happened?" Kevin asks.

"I don't feel good in heading that direction...towards the water source," I say.