Chapter 3

Iris's POV

I open the letter.

Dear Iris and Kevin,

Hello! It's me, Karen, again. If you have got this letter, I know that both of you are here now. You have received my letters. And, I hope you have seen the broken piece of mirror.

Now, what you're going to read will sound very fake, but I need you to trust me. This mirror is not just an ordinary mirror. It is a portal, which when used correctly, takes you to Eponine.

You may be wondering what on earth is Eponine. It is where I am, right now. A land of healers and warriors, Eponine is my true birthplace. The dimension in which Eponine exists coexists with our modern world. I know... it's crazy, even I did not believe it at first. I will explain everything once I see you in person which will be here in Eponine.

The mirror will help you. I myself am not sure what my past is or how I am connected to this but this mirror took me there, so I am sure it will take you too. Once you reach her, we'll find it out together.

Now, you should be careful while doing this. Both of you should hold the mirror, make sure that your skin touches it. Look into the mirror and say "Aperire Ostium Contra Eponine".

That will bring you here to me. We will talk out everything, and I promise you'll know.

Yours sincerely,

Karen Hill

Kevin huffs. "She's kidding right?" Kevin asks raising an eyebrow. I look back at the broken piece of mirror in my hand and sigh.

"I don't know. But if she's playing a trick on us, where would she be living right now? Isn't that something to be concerned about?" I ask him.

"But, this doesn't make any sense, Iris! How on earth can this damn mirror transport us to another world...that's utter bullshit unless it's some fantasy movie or something." Kevin argues and takes the mirror from my hand. He looks at it and exhales audibly.

I search her dresser for any more clues but find none. I agree with Kevin. Completely. This could not be true. A mirror that transports us to another world. It sounds like Portkeys from Harry Potter. It all sounds too made up, but Karen is definitely wiser than playing such a trick on her friends and family. 

I feel like crumbling this paper, shattering that mirror, and running out of this house. A vague idea of none of these letters being written by her crosses my mind, but if someone else wrote these letters, how did they reach here, inside her house? 

My eyes start to sting, moisture collecting in them. Teardrops threaten to fall when Kevin grabs my upper arm and gently shakes it.

"You're crying?" he asks sounding concerned.

I shake my head. I don't want to cry in front of him. I drop my head and squeeze my eyes shut but feel a small drop of my tear fall on my hand as I take a deep breath. Calming myself down when I feel like crying has always worked for me, like it doing now. I smile at Kevin.

"You okay?" he asks. I nod and give him thumbs up.

"Well, I think it's about time we left. Can I keep the letter?" I ask Kevin, but he looks like I just said the dumbest thing.

 "Aren't...aren't we gonna talk about this? Aren't we gonna do something about this? " asks Kevin, his face white.

"We will but not now Kevin. Tomorrow. Tomorrow is Sunday and both of us are free. We can discuss this then. Alright?" I suggest and he nods. We walk out of the room with the mirror and the letter in my bag bide farewell to Alice and step out of the house.

"How are you friends with Karen?" I ask him on our way back.

"I was wondering why you didn't ask me yet?" he chuckles, "Well, its kind of like a long story...but let's make it short. You know that before the Hills moved to New York, they actually lived in Miami, right? " I nod. "Well, I also moved here from Miami"

"Wait...were you two neighbors?" I ask, a faint memory of her telling something about her childhood friends, rushing to my mind.

"Yup, and we were best friends...inseparable. But, when we were around 10, Arthur got a job transfer and they moved here to New York," he explains.

"But, even when you moved here, why didn't you guys hang out? I mean, it was not very often that I saw you guys talking."

"Yeah... Hannah just called me your boyfriend..for what?...because I came to help you get away from her."

"Hannah is a bitch!" I mumble.

"Exactly, our school is technically filled bitches like her. So, even if Karen and I were just friends, they'd make a big deal out of it and Karen feared that such stuff would mess up our friendship, so we hung out in secret," he explains.

That's a point he has there. "I feel bad for you guys. Such a shitty school, we can't even hang out with our friends!" I chuckle. "But why wouldn't she tell me about you?" 

He shrugs. "I don't know...but hey, she wanted both of us to find her right? She sent both of the letters."

"Yeah, umm...you can stop here!" I say pointing to the left. He pulls over right in front of my pavement where we parted ways yesterday.

"Okay, bye... see ya laytah!" he waves at me and I giggle.

"Bye!" I wave back.

*****

I'm in my bed, working on my English assignment but I feel so empty. It's been exactly seven days since I heard from Karen.

Where are you, Karen? I'm missing you. I swear, if this is a prank, I will legit hit you hard in the head with a vase. Are those letters from you? How can the stuff written in the letter be true? It all sounds like a fantasy. Why didn't you tell me about Kevin? Why didn't you tell me where you were going? Where will I find the answers to these questions?

*****

A/N: I'm glad that you are still reading!!! Do vote and comment!