Chapter 49

Iris POV

There it stands, in all its mighty glory, trapping us under its violent and sadistic gaze. I shudder as its gold eyes, focus on each one of us, taking us in, probably as its next meal. 

What a wonderful meal we would make?

A mermaid, a human, and three Eponians.

I see its nose flaring, the horns and scales that cover its body raised to appear bigger than it already is. The heat radiating from it is so much that I feel it from this distance. A chill runs down my spine, all the way to the tip of my fins when I hear its rough and hoarse voice.

"Creatures having fun in our territory, eh?"

"Who are you?" asks a female voice and I see another one emerging from behind the tall grass. This one is copper in color but just as terrifying and gigantic.

Before I can protest, Karen walks forward towards them, looking at the giant creatures straight into their gold eyes, which very much resemble hers now. She walks and walks, out of the water and onto the land.

"Princess Katarina Silvus Floarea. Daughter of late King Etine. Heir of Eponine." she shouts. The moment the creature hears the word 'Eponine', their eyes widen. But come back to their usual size just as quickly.

"Eponians in our land....after all these centuries." rasps the male one, taking its steps forward toward us. "And to what do we owe this visit, Princesssss?" hisses the dragon.

"We weren't visiting," she replies.

"And I am free to say that you were intruding, Princess?" the female one chuckles.

"We were only swimming in this pond," says Karen, directing her hand toward us.

By this time all the guys have got out of the pond, leaving me, the midst of the waters.

"This pond is in our territory, Princess." hisses the male one.

"And what is this very unusual looking mermaid doing here?" asks the female one, her gaze fixed on me.

"She is my friend," replies Karen.

"Mermaids only exist in the seas beyond these mountains, princess. And they don't look as fascinating as her. There is no way an Eponian can be friends with a mermaid, Princess." she explains.

I swear, if I am going to be the victim of one more attack, I will lose my shit!

"Umm... You guys look dope as hell, but I just gotta get out of these waters, I show you my fins." I shout out, and the female dragon looks at me, her nose flaring. 

Did I just piss her off?

"A mermaid who can talk overwater, interesting." observes the male one. I swear Delmar is in for some shit if I come out of the quest alive. He didn't tell one thing about actual freaking mermaids.

"Kevin, my clothes, please!" I request.

"What is she?" asks the female one her eyes dangerously fixed on Karen.

"A mermaid-human hybrid," answers Karen. I smile goofily at the female dragon when she narrows her eyes at me.

"Interesting." she hisses, observing me like some new specimen for research.

"Can someone pick me up from here?" I direct the question at the boys.

Caspian quickly comes over and picks me up from the water and after a while, I am fully transformed and clothed and so are the others.