Chapter 4

A/N: Ya'll like reading the author's note or jumping straight to the story?

******

Iris's POV

My eyes fly open as I hear my, usually welcomed alarm go off. My grumpy self switches it off and lies back, staring blankly at the ceiling. Setting 'Two ghosts' as my alarm is one of the best decisions I've made.

I have to meet Kevin, today. We have to talk about the letter and the mirror. Some damned place called Eponine. And maybe get transported to a magical world where I can finally see my best friend. Get all my questions answered! Thank goodness, Kevin is also involved in this. I would've screwed this up if I were alone.

I jolt up straight when I hear my phone ringing. Speak of the devil!

"Morning!" I greet him, groggily.

"Good morning, you up?" he asks.

"Yeah, just woke up. So... where are we meeting today?" I ask, stifling a yawn.

"Wherever you please, milady?"

Why is he joking?

"Let's go to Street park, there is a place where we can be alone," I suggest.

"Right, okay...I'll be there in an hour."

I do all my morning rituals and get dressed. Jogging downstairs, the smell of fresh pancakes fills my nostrils.

"G'morning, sleepyhead! It's Sunday... so I thought why not make your favorite?" says my mom and winks at me.

"Thanks, mom... I am sick of cereal for a whole week." I say and dig into the pancakes. A moan almost escapes my lips at the taste, but I hold it in.

"Whoa, slow down kiddo...what's the hurry?" asks my dad, chuckling.

"I have to meet Kevin, dad... just catching up on an assignment," I speak through the pancakes in my mouth.

Mom raises an eyebrow. "I thought, you did that yesterday."

"Yeah... but we couldn't complete it. It's a pretty big assignment." I lie.

God, why are they asking so many questions?

My dad smirks to himself. "You know can tell us if anything is goin' on between you and this Kevin boy, right?" asks dad. I choke on my pancakes on hearing that.

"God, no dad...no such thing. We're just partners for an assignment." I tell and then quickly finish my pancakes.

"For how long will you be gone?" asks mom.

"I don't know mom, as long it takes for us to complete our project" I answer. With that, I wave at her and leave the house.

Yes mom, our project. More like a mission than a project. A mission to find my friend.

I drive to Street Park and see Kevin right at the entrance. Seeing him, flashing his signature sweet smile and showing off his prominent dimples, just makes me relaxed. I am not in this alone, he is with me. And it calms me down to have someone.

"Heya darling, all ready to find our dear friend?" asks Kevin with a thumbs up. I nod with a smile and return the thumbs up.

"I know this place inside...there's not many people there. I come here to read in peace at times." I say.

"You read??" he asks, sounding somewhat astonished. Almost everyone knows my reading addiction by now.

"Reading for life, bro!" I pull off the peace sign and he chuckles. We walk through the kids' play area and past the benches where the old people relax to my favorite spot.

There is something weird about this place. Nobody usually comes here. Considering the fact that this area is pretty isolated and peaceful, I planned to carry out whatever we have to do over here. If we sit at the side of the tree facing away from the rest of the park, nobody is bound to see us.

I place my bag down on the ground before motioning Kevin to sit down. I pull out the mirror and the letter from the bag.

"So, what exactly are we supposed to do with this?" asks Kevin, picking up the mirror.

"She says to look into the mirror and...say whatever this is?" I say pointing at 'that' phrase written in the letter.

"How do you even pronounce that?" asks Kevin, confused. Suddenly, I recognize the language

"Wait...Kevin, it's Latin...and it says...open the door to Eponine." I conclude.

"How in the world do you know Latin?" he asks surprised.

"Took, classes for a few months last year." I shrug.

"You took classes for Latin, while you could have taken classes for cooler languages like French or Spanish." teases Kevin.

"Yeah, didn't it prove helpful now?" I scoff and then he gives up, throwing his hands in the air.

"Let's just get started," he tells. "How do you pronounce this?" asks Kevin.

"Ape-reer os-thee-yum kon-thra Eponine," I say and he repeats after me.

"Right so, both of us should hold this mirror, look into it and say that phrase."

"Yup, seems like it." I agree.

"Jesus, we sure would look like absolute fools for doing this. If this is a trick, I swear to god, I will kill Karen." Kevin states.

"Don't worry, I will help you in that case". Both of us laugh at this before we take hold of the mirror.

"Ready?" I ask.

"Ready as I ever will be!" confirms Kevin.

"Aperire ostium contra Eponine!" I hear both our voices say simultaneously and suddenly the world around us goes black.

*******

A/N: Hi guys, Thank you so much for reading, this is my first time writing anything so kindly overlook any mistakes. I am also aware of the fact that I do take a lot of time to update, and that the chapters are pretty short. Sorry about that.

Also, I am a student, so when the workload is too much I might put the story on hold. Till then I will keep updating as often as I can. See ya later!