Chapter 17

A/N: I know that that the chapters are short and that things happen pretty fast in the story, but that literally the point of the story friends!

***********

Karen's POV

"Hey!" I wave at him.

"Hello!" he greets "I wanted to see you. I saw you guys running."

"Yeah, we were just......testing my powers, I guess? That what Kevin says!" I shrug.

"How are they?"

"They're developing. My sight has increased tremendously and so has my strength. I mean, I just gave Kevin a piggyback ride!" I say excitedly. 

"Did you, really?" he asks surprised

"Yeah, sort of!" I say sounding lethargic. 

"Are you guys together?" he asks and we start walking.

"Who?"

"You and Kevin."

Jesus Christ!

I raise my hands in defense. "Oh no, no way! I and Kevin have been friends since for as long as I can remember. We're just best friends!" 

"Oh okay, sorry!" he chuckles.

"It's okay," I tell. "However Iris and Kevin are together, though."

"Of course, as in all trio friendships, two of them will be together. Like Ron and Hermione in Harry Potter," he comments.

"Wait, you know Harry Potter?"

"Yeah, I found some of the mundane books very interesting. One of them was Harry Potter. You like it?" he asks.

"Sort of, but Iris is a huge Potterhead. She is obsessed!" I say.

"She sounds interesting!"

"She is but a weird kind of interesting, though." I chuckle. "But both of them are very supportive. They're catching up with all that is happening with me and I couldn't be more grateful. They make this so much easier than it could be. I could only imagine how I'll handle all this if I was alone." I say and Darius's eyes turn at me, full of concern, making me want to tell him more.

I continue. "Kevin goofs around, and Iris is just herself. Sometimes I'm quite surprised at how they are at handling this whole situation. After all, not everyone has a friend who disappears one day, show up at this magical world and then starts showing strange superpowers." I chuckle.

"Same here as well. Eponine has never been in short of an heir for the past thousand years or something. Then all this stuff happens, the Borat is nowhere to be found and our whole world is toppled upside down." he remarks. "Unless we find the Borat as soon as possible, the future of our Kingdom is in danger."

The guy sounds genuine. Despite his frightening figure and mysterious looks, Darius is, to be honest, a sweetheart. He, for some reason, emits this aura around him that makes me want to trust him. Well if Entonia trusted all of them, maybe I could too. And so I do.

"Even after we find the Borat, I don't know what to do next. This whole thing is just.... terrifying to me!" I confess.

"Once you find it, it will glow in your hands. I've seen it glow and it's the most mesmerizing thing ever!" he recalls dreamily.

"And after that?" I question.

"You will be crowned Queen, that's it!" he shrugs. 

Those broad shoulders! How would it be like to hold on to them? 

"See, you say it like it's no big deal. I was so normal, living a normal life...I didn't even have an ambition. I was just living my life and then within a snap of my fingers, I find myself in this position. All this is happening so unnaturally fast, and I am...scared." I admit. 

At this point, I don't even care who it is. I didn't want to say to Kevin and Iris about my fear because I know that the only thing that is holding them here is my carefree attitude about this whole thing. If I admit that I am scared, I am sure they will also start to doubt themselves.

And I have barely met Darius and now I am saying this to him. I can't believe it. But something inside me tells me to trust him because I find him trustable.

Then he does something surprising. He stops walking rests his hand on either side of my shoulders. Although, I tense upon his touch he doesn't take his hands away but instead, looks me deeply in the eyes.

It's funny how we were flirting not so long ago and now this is happening. He just stays there looking into my eyes, holding me in place. His hold is strong but gentle. His gaze is intense but calming. His touch is electrifying but alleviating.

"I can never get enough of looking into your eyes," he whispers and I shudder. "You don't have to be scared, I am here. We're all here for you." 

I just stay there looking at him, staring at his eyes taking in every feature of his beautiful face. My fingers twitch to touch his face, trace it along his sharp jaw and lips but of course, I fight it.

"And you are going to make a great Queen! We're all here to help you, Iris, Kevin, Caspian..." he moves his hand to cup my face, "...and me!" I hold on to his hands to keep myself from falling because my heart keeps racing. 

The way he is looking at me right now...I can't. What is he going to do?

He towers over me, holding me as if I am the most delicate thing. Usually, Iris got that sort of treatment. I was bold and tough. But now, even I feel soft.

"Darius..." I breathe, not able to speak a word after that. I tighten my hold on him out of nervousness. It's not like I haven't been with other boys. I've had one boyfriend but that ended in a friendly breakup. Let's just say, the relationship was not very moral. I have also flirted plenty, but this guy right in front of me, I don't understand what he is doing to me.

"We met today...be we should've met so much earlier!" he whispers. "I saw you many times, and I wanted to talk to you, but I couldn't, not until Entonia gave me permission."

"Why didn't she give you permission?" I ask.

"I don't know...but I wanted to..." he tugs a strand of my hair behind my ear. 

Okay, this is going too fast. What is he going to do?

I swear, I will faint if he kisses me or something.

"Darius, your mom is looking for you!" someone calls out. 

Whew! 

That was going too fast. Sure the guy is nice and everything, but we were going too fast. At the same time, I also wanted something to happen. I wanted to stay like that. I wanted him to do whatever he wanted to do with me.

But, if something were to happen between us I didn't want it to go too fast.

"You should go!" I say slightly touching his bicep. 

God, it's so hard!

He smiles at me, a smooth and gentle smile, and then he wraps his large arms around me engulfing me into a big hug. I throw my hand around his hard, muscled torso and rest my head on his chest.

This feels good. Really good! I haven't had a hug that feels like this in a long time. Kevin's big brotherly hugs and Iris' sisterly affection is all I have now, but this guy whom I met today, just a few hours ago, feels so different. And it's such a good kind of different. It makes me not want to let go.

"I'll see you later, okay!" he says, now beginning to walk away.

"Bye, Darius!" I say.

"Bye, Karen!" and then he disappears. 

*********     

A/N: So what do guys think about Darius. Comment down below. I know it's going too fast...but hey, that's the point of the story! Vote, Comment, and follow!