"You just nearly had your first kiss."

Eva POV

"These are really good." Jay's fingers slipped through the pages of my sketchpad. I hadnt meant to give it to him. I didnt want him to see my drawings, no one except Holly saw my drawings. But he just sort of snatched it from the desk before I had time to tell him no.

"I dont really... I'm not... These arent my best." He looked at me, shock painting his features.

"Well if these arent your best then I cant wait to see the rest of your drawings. Do you paint?" He looked back at the paper, tracing his finger over the pencil lines.

"Um... yeah. I've got paintings scattered all around my bedroom and my side of the apartment. Holly hates it. Everywhere you turn there's a bit of artwork, or music sheets." His ears pricked.

"Music sheets? You play?"

"Piano, yeah. I write, mostly. It helps let out my frustration with the world." Jay laughed at that, his blue eyes lighting up. He really was very good looking...

"I'd like to hear you sometime." I shook my head.

"No, please. You dont. Im really not all that good..." I was silenced by his finger on my lips.

"Why are you so insecure? I dont understand. How can someone like you be so self-conscious?" I looked down at my feet. Jay rubbed my arm soothingly.

"Honestly, Im not sure. I guess I just look at other people, other girls, and know that I'll never be as pretty as them, or as clever, or as outgoing. I cant even go into a club without freaking out. Look at me, hiding out in a finance office while my best friend is out meeting members of one of the biggest bands in the world right now. Im useless." His grip tightened on my arm, his fingers lifting my chin up so I met his gaze.

"Hey, dont say that. You are far from useless. I hate that you're saying this because you obviously dont see yourself clearly. Ive talked to you for less than 15 minutes and I can already tell how amazing you are. I mean, you draw amazingly well, better than anyone I've seen before. You write music and play piano. I like that youre shy, its intriguing, mysterious." I laughed and he chuckled along with me. "See, you also have a very beautiful laugh. And you are so so pretty." He stroked my cheek, leaning in very slowly. Oh my god... His lips were hovering over mine, less than an inch away from...

"EVA!!! Its time to... oh!" I pulled away from Jay's hold on my cheek, flustered. I felt the blush spread across my skin.

"Um, sorry, I uh..." Rubbing my neck, I grabbed my sketchpad and pencils. I heard Jay sigh heavily.

"No, no! Please, continue." I glared at Holly, grabbing her arm and pulling her out the room.

"We're leaving. Now."

"But..."

"Now, Holly." We'd already asked one of the staff to lock up, so that wasnt a problem.

Oh god, what had I done? Nearly kissed Jay Mcguiness, thats what I'd done. If Holly hadnt of walked in right then, with Nathan tagging along with her... I wasnt sure if I was angry with her or very thankful.

"So..." Holly broke the silence as we stopped outside the apartment.

"I dont want to talk about it." I grabbed the keys and went to get out the car.

"You just nearly had your first kiss, not counting that dare in year 6. We are talking about it." She had that 'you're not going to win' look on her face. I sighed and opened the car door.

"Ok then. Lets go inside." She grinned and we made our way up to the front door.