eighteen

"does it hurt terribly, draco?" y/n asked as she sat next to the blonde boy in the great hall.

"it comes and it goes. still, i consider myself lucky. madame pomfrey said another minute and i could've lost my arm." he replied as she lightly traced her fingers against the cast his arm had been placed in. she knew it wasn't hurt too bad and definitely didn't need a cast, he was simply just milking it to get more attention from her. "i can't possibly do any homework for weeks."

"oh no, my poor boy." y/n cooed at him, rolling her eyes playfully and shaking her head.

"my fathers furious." draco said as he looked up towards her eyes.

"oh i bet he is. i will be writing to my father about this too!"

"really!" draco beamed.

"heavens, no!" y/n said back, turning down towards her book. he glared at her lightly before resting his head on her shoulder.

~

y/n watched the large closet in her dada class move back and forth.

"intriguing, isn't it? would anyone like to venture a guess as to what is inside?" professor lupin asked as he walked around the students.

"that's a boggart, that is!" a student said.

"very good, mr. thomas. now can anybody tell me what a boggart looks like?"

"no one knows." hermione said quickly, "boggarts are shape shifters. they take the shape of whatever a person fears the most."

the closet continued to move as y/n watched it with wide eyes, wondering what her boggart would look like.

"luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a boggart. let's practice it now. without wands, please. after me, riddikulus!"

"riddikulus!" the students said in unison.

"this class is ridiculous." draco said as he turned to y/n. he made a disgusted looking face and turned back towards professor lupin.

lupin called up neville to the front, asking what frightens him most of all.

"professor snape." neville said shyly. everyone laughed and y/n crossed her arms over her chest.

"i believe you live with your grandmother." professor lupin said.

"yes, and i don't want it to turn to her, either." neville choked out.

y/n laughed and looked up at draco who stood watching the two intently.

"i want you to picture her clothes. only her clothes, very clearly, in your mind. as long as you see it, we'll see it. now, when i open that wardrobe here's what i want you to do." lupin then walked over to neville and whispered something in his ear. the boy then pulled out his wand as the professor finally opened the door.

y/n watched as professor snape walked out and stepped closer to the scared boy.

"riddikulus!" neville shouted. snapes clothes then changed into ones the boys grandmother would wear and y/n laughed once again.

"everyone, form a line." lupin said. draco, goyle, pansy and crabbe quickly walked to the back yet y/n walked towards the front of the line. she soon stood right behind ron. ron stood up to the boggart and his transformed into a gigantic spider. he pointed his wand at the boggart and said "riddikulus!" roller skates formed on the spiders legs while it struggled to stand up.

"next, miss. y/l/n! please step up."

y/n then walked towards the spider as the boggart quickly transformed into her. the two stood facing each other for a moment while y/n looked confused.

"but i'm not scared of myself." she said as she looked at her professor.

right after the words slipped past her mouth the boggart of her quickly began to bleed out on the ground before her. the boggart fell to her knees and looked up with tears in her eyes. it then fell to the ground, lifeless. the girl wasn't afraid of herself, she was afraid of death. she grabbed her wand from her pocket and shouted, "riddikulus!" the boggart then transformed into a sunflower as it fell down gently to the ground below. she sighed contently and walked towards the back of the line to stand next to draco.

~

"remember, these visits to hogsmeade village are a privilege. should your behavior reflect poorly on the school in any way, that privilege shall not be extended again!" mcgonagall said in a stern voice.

y/n jumped up with excitement, she was so happy she was able to spend a day away from the school with her friends.

"excited, are we?" draco asked as he noticed her smile.

"incredibly!" she beamed.

he grabbed the hand that was still wearing his ring and held it tightly. she looked up at him and rested her body on his. he smelt of mint, citrus, amber wood, and tonka beans.

before draco had come to hogwarts, he swore up and down he would not become infatuated with a girl, however the very moment y/n caught his eye he knew that the promise he made to himself would fall and crumble down. she was like him, determined and ambitious, however she was incredibly different. she was kind and caring, she held herself high whilst not acting cocky, he admired that about her. she kept him in check when she needed to and always made sure he was fed and had gotten enough sleep. she was always sweet to him, even if he threw a sarcastic and rude remark her way. he knew from that day forward while looking down at her as she leaned against him, that he truly needed her. they were young, incredibly young, but he just knew.

"come on, beautiful," he spoke gently, "let's go grab a butterbeer."

~

that night, all of the students were escorted to the great hall as sirius black had been spotted in the castle.

the students laid in sleeping bags with their houses, yet the boys were to sleep on one side while the girls slept on the other. y/n was next to marley and pansy, incredibly close together. they talked quietly until snape told them it was time for bed and that no more chatter was allowed. before she had fallen asleep, y/n looked up over towards draco. she smiled to herself as she saw him; he was laid on his back, eyes closed. his lips were slightly parted and the sleeping bag rose up slightly and then fell down as he took small breaths.

days passed and the weather outside had began to grow colder. some days y/n would sit outside while a dead leaf would rest in her palm. she would concentrate on it and watch as the once brown leaf would turn back to its most beautiful state. other days, she would sit in her room at a desk and watch as her fingers ignited into flames. she had been extremely careful to not use her elemental powers around anyone, even though the only person she had wanted to show was draco.