fifty five

the next morning the four stood in front of the horcrux. the wind blew slightly and y/n pulled the sleeves of her jumper down to cover the exposed skin of her arm.

"you first, y/n. see if you can burn it." hermione said as she looked towards the girl.

y/n nodded and grabbed the horcrux. her hand lit into flames and eventually she put it out. the necklace remained perfectly intact and she sighed, she knew something as little as fire would have absolutely no effect on the magical locket.

she set the necklace back down and walked back over to the others, leaning against a tree next to ron.

"let me try." harry said as he held his wand, "dissendium."

they approached the locket as it began to make small noises, noticing that the glass was fixing itself.

hermione then drew her wand, "incendio."

"expulso!"

"diffindo!"

"reducto!"

"harry!" y/n said she as approached him and placed her hand on his shoulder, "it's not going to work."

harry took a deep breath and grabbed the locket from the ground. he placed it around his neck and tucked it into his shirt.

"what are you doing?" hermione asked.

"we have to keep it safe until we find out how to destroy it."

"seems strange, mate." ron began, "dumbledore sends you off to find all these horcrux's but doesn't tell you how to destroy them. doesn't that bother you?"

y/n looked at ron before turning back to harry, giving him a sad look. he sighed before walking off into the forest, leaving the others to watch him go.

~

y/n sat on the ground next to the tent with her back leaned up against a tree. her eyes closed occasionally as she began to feel strong signs of fatigue. the night before she had barely gotten any sleep, she was kept up all night by the repeating cries from ron. she didn't mind, she knew he was in pain.

"i thought it had stopped." hermione said, making y/n open her eyes, "you can't keep letting him in, harry."

harry looked between the two girls, "you know who has found gregorovitch."

"the wand maker?" y/n asked and harry nodded.

"he wants something that gregorovitch used to have, but i don't know what. but he wants it desperately. i mean, it's as if his life depends on it."

the radio volume grew louder and harry turned his head to look at the tent irritatedly.

"don't." hermione said, "it comforts him."

"it sets my teeth on edge. what's he expecting to hear, good news?"

y/n sighed as she stood up, wiping some dirt from her jeans, "i think he just hopes he doesn't hear bad news. merlin knows we don't need anymore of that."

harry stood up as well, "how long before he can travel?"

"we're doing everything we can." hermione said as she looked towards y/n.

"you're not doing enough!" harry yelled as he stormed away.

"take it off." y/n said as she walked up to him with her hand out, "i said, take it off. now."

harry grabbed the necklace from around his neck and placed it in her hand, giving her a small smile.

"better?" the girl asked as she placed the locket around her own neck.

"loads."

"we'll take it in turns, okay?" y/n said as she walked back into the tent.

~

y/n sat outside with hermione with her head on the girls shoulder. the stars twinkled brightly in the sky and flames from the fire danced in front of them. a twig snapped, and y/n picked up her head.

"did you hear that?" y/n asked and hermione nodded.

the two stood up and walked together through the trees. the rustling sound continued and their paces began to slow. three men approached from the forest and y/n and hermione stared at them as they walked by.

"what's that?" one of the men asked and y/n held her breath, careful not to make a sound. all of the men began to walk away and y/n let out a shaking breath as she looked at hermione nervously.

"snatchers." harry said as he walked up behind them, "good to know your enchantments work, hermione."

"he could smell it. our perfume." hermione said as her eyes landed on y/n.

the three began to walk back towards the tent and harry said that they needed to leave and find a new place to set up camp.

"i've told you," hermione began, "ron isn't strong enough to apparate."

"well, then, we'll go on foot." harry grumbled, "and next time, as much as i like your perfumes, just don't wear any."

y/n noticed ron come out of the tent and she jogged up to him quickly, leaving harry and hermione a few steps behind. ron looked at the two with an annoyed face and y/n noticed quickly. she shook her head, silently telling him he had nothing to worry about and dragged him back into the tent.

~

y/n walked next to ron through the grass as the other two walked in front. the radio continued to play and y/n let her gaze wander off into the field.

after awhile of walking, the group took shelter in an abandoned barn as death eaters circled over head. after they had gone, they continued walking, passing houses, bridges and different bodies of water.

before the sun set, hermione and harry set up the tent under a large bridge and ron and y/n sat as they watched the two skip rocks into the water.

"he doesn't know what he's doing, does he?" he asked.

"i don't think any of us do." y/n replied as she gave ron a small smile.

"does it scare you? i mean, not knowing what's going to happen?"

she sighed and looked down towards her hands, "it seems like now, i'm never not scared. i just, keep pushing and keep telling myself it's going to be alright."

ron nodded, "it's weird to see that this is where we ended up. who would've known that we'd be skipping our last year to go find these bloody horcrux's."

"i know. i just want life to go back to normal."

"at this point, i'm not sure it will ever go back to normal."