fifteen

days passed. y/n still had yet to speak to harry, ron, or hermione. they hadn't reached out to her either, and she knew she most certainly wasn't going to be the first one to do so. instead, she spent her time with draco, pansy, and marley. at this point, she didn't care much about her gryffindor friends and draco was more than happy to fill their spots.

she grew sad occasionally as she thought of ron and all the time they had spent together as small children. she would watch as ron would walk with his friends into the great hall, not even glancing in her direction anymore. he looked happier now, and even though she was sad she had lost his friendship, she was happy that he was happy.

"y/n!" marley said as she sat down in front of the girl who was working on homework for snapes potion class.

"oh, hi marley." y/n said as she smiled and set her quill down, "what's up?"

"i have fantastic news." marley beamed. "you remember that girl from last year, elodie?"

y/n nodded her head as she remembered the girl marley thought so high of.

"i think she likes me back!"

y/n gasped and smiled widely, "how do you know?"

"we were up in the astronomy tower, talking about anything and everything, and she interlaced her fingers with mine as she laid her head on my shoulder!" y/n had never seen her friend so happy.

"marley! that's amazing!" y/n exclaimed. "i'm so happy for you! when should i plan the wedding?"

marley just shook her head and laughed, "very funny, y/n. but i have more news! i think draco likes you!"

y/n's smile dropped slightly as she felt butterflies erupt in her stomach, "me? why do you say that?"

"i heard him talking to blaise in the common room. while blaise rambled on about pansy, he eventually asked draco about you. he didn't seem to know what to say and he quickly changed the subject."

y/n couldn't contain her excitement. she had known from the very start of the year that she did find she had a slight crush on the boy, but never acted on it. they were simply good friends, and she didn't want to mess things up by telling him about her feelings.

"i think you should talk to him." marley stated as she flipped her hair over her shoulder.

"oh, i don't know. i wouldn't want to surprise him and make him shy away. especially because still neither one of us knows how he truly feels."

marley nodded her head as she understood, "i guess you're right. i suppose it may be best to let fate take it's course. me and pansy have a bet however, pansy believes she and blaise will get together before you and draco, i say otherwise."

the two girls laughed together before letting the conversation die down. they then returned to the work they had both been assigned.

~

"have you heard the news?" draco asked y/n as he leaned near the desk she had been sitting at in their common room. she allowed her eyes to leave her book and fall onto his face.

"what news?" she asked.

"hermione granger has been petrified!"

y/n widened her eyes, "oh no. i bet harry and ron are pulling their hair out with worry."

draco rolled his eyes and crossed him arms, "you're not still on about them, are you?"

"draco, they were my friends. and even though we haven't talked in awhile, i still care about them."

he just scoffed, "y/n. you are one of the smartest people i have ever known. you don't need those filthy blood traitors to drag you down."

y/n glared her eyes at him, "remember, malfoy. i was friends with hermione and harry once too. so apparently in your eyes, i am also a blood traitor."

"yeah but you're, i don't know, different." he said as he stumbled over his words.

"different, huh? well, i guess i'll that as a compliment. now if you will excuse me, i am going to go study in my room where there are less distractions. i'll see you tomorrow." y/n gathered up her items before standing up. she walked away as the boy watched her go, wanting to ask her to stay.

~

y/n sat in the great hall next to pansy and marley. pansy was rambling on about how blaise had given her a single rose and how she supposedly thought that that meant he wanted her to grow old with him.

y/n paid no attention though, as she was too caught up in staring at the boy that sat in front of her. draco was talking to crabbe and goyle about how he had pushed a first year down, knocking the books out of the younger boys hands. even though y/n would have scolded the boy for his actions last year, now she had grown accustomed to his mean and cruel personality. she hoped one day she would be able to fix his attitude.

"take a picture, y/l/n. it'll last longer." she heard crabbe say as she looked at him with a glare.

"piss off, crabbe. you better be lucky i don't hex you right here for everyone to see, you disgusting monster!" y/n snapped causing draco to laugh.

draco looked at her deeply before whispering, "that's my girl." she smiled at him.

y/n's attention was then turned towards the door as she watched hermione walk and quickly sit down at the gryffindor table. y/n grinned to herself, happy the girl was alive. hermione caught her eyes and sent her a friendly nod, which y/n mimicked, and turned towards her friends.

"can i have your attention, please?" professor mcgonagall said.

dumbledore stood up from his seat and rested his hands on the table in front of him, "before we begin the feast, let us have a round of applause for professor sprout, madame pomfrey, whose mandrake juice has been so successfully administered to all who have been petrified."

the room erupted into cheers and everyone clapped, all except most of the slytherin table. y/n did clap, as she truly admired all of the work the teachers had done to help their students.

"also, in light of the recent events, as a school treat, all exams have been canceled."

these words finally made the slytherin table cheer, louder than any other table. the doors then opened as hagrid walked in, "sorry i'm late. the owl that delivered my release papers got all lost and confused. some ruddy bird called errol."

y/n smiled widely as she watched hagrid walk down the row of students. she was happy he was home and out of azkaban. everyone stood as they clapped and cheered happily. she looked down at draco who was still sat, clearly annoyed.

"oh, stand up, draco. don't be a git." y/n said as she passed him a smile.

"no way." he said as he scoffed. y/n rolled her eyes at the bitter boy and continued to cheer.

~

"i suppose i better not expect a letter from you, malfoy." y/n said as they both stepped off of the train that had just stopped in the kings cross station.

"i'll write this summer, i promise." he replied, placing his hand on her lower back as they walked.

"yeah, and you promised last year." she said as she turned around to face him and crossed her arms.

he chuckled, "well, this time i swear i will. until next year, y/l/n."

"until next year, draco."