thirty two

it was a warm afternoon in august. earlier that day draco had stopped by to see y/n and now the two sat out in the backyard of her family home. the sun was beating down onto their faces as draco laid his head on her lap.

it was silent for a while, the only sounds coming from the chirping of the birds and y/n's gentle humming as she closed her eyes and basked in the warmth.

"do you miss him?" draco whispered a few moments later. y/n looked down at him, he still had his eyes closed. she ran a hand softly through his soft blonde hair.

she knew exactly who he was talking about, "every day."

she had gotten over cedrics death slightly. she now didn't feel like crying every time she thought about him. it hurt for awhile, but she knew that crying and being upset over it wouldn't change the fact that he wouldn't be coming back.

"i know how much he meant to you, my love. if i could bring him back, i would."

y/n chuckled, "you would?"

he opened his eyes, staring up at her, "i would do anything to make you happy."

she leaned down and pressed her lips to his. he reached a soft hand up and put it gently against her cheek before smiling into their kiss. they pulled away and y/n plucked a small blade of grass from the ground, delicately running it across his face. he smacked her hand away due to the tickling sensation and she laughed before throwing the blade back into the yard.

it was silent again for a little before y/n sighed, "what do you think will happen after school?"

their fifth year was coming up quickly and after this one they would only have two years left. she often thought about what would happen in three years, wondering if they would still be together.

"what do you mean?" he asked, wondering what she was referring to.

"do you think we'll still be together?" she didn't want to show him that the question made her nervous so she directed her gaze to anywhere but him.

"hey, look at me," he began as he sat up, sitting his body next to her. she turned her attention to his eyes, "i'm not going anywhere."

"promise?" she watched as he held up his pinky and she laughed before wrapping her pinky around his.

"i promise."

she looked into his eyes lovingly, wondering how she got so lucky. even though most people saw him as cruel and mean, she looked past all of that. she was able to see right through him, knowing that it was only due to the fact that he grew up with an unloving father. he was just a boy who hadn't grown up knowing how to be kind, "i absolutely adore you."

while he stared back into her eyes he wanted so badly to tell her that he loved her. he did, and there was no doubt in his mind. he was just afraid of rejection, not knowing what he would do if she didn't say it back so instead he stuck with just simply telling her that he adored her too.

she nodded contently before laying down on the grass, staring up at the sky. draco just simply watched her, scanning all of her features that he had grown fond of.

~

"did you hear about pansy and blaise?" marley whispered to y/n over the table. y/n shook her head and marley used her head to point towards where pansy was sitting alone, "they broke up. apparently he had been seeing someone behind her back."

y/n chuckled, "good for him."

this year on the train to hogwarts, draco sat between goyle and y/n on one side of the table while marley sat between crabbe and aliyah. y/n could tell marley was uncomfortable every time the train would jolt and crabbes arm would rub up against the blonde girl. she thought it was so funny when marleys face would scrunch up in disgust.

once they had arrived, the dark sky hung overhead and y/n stepped off of the train whilst holding dracos hand. they walked in front of the others and soon draco spotted the golden trio. he scoffed before walking fast to catch up to the three, dragging y/n along with him, "i'm surprised the ministry's still letting you walk around free, potter. better enjoy it while you can. i expect there's a cell in azkaban with your name on it."

harry lunged at draco but ron was quick to pull him back. y/n put her hands on dracos chest, pushing him away from the raven haired boy, "stop it! all you ever do is start problems!"

draco looked at her and then quickly fixed his suit, taking a step back. she pushed him away, using her hands to tell him to leave. after he walked away with crabbe and goyle, y/n turned back towards the irritated three, "i'm sorry, harry. are you okay?"

harry's chest rose as he took an angry breath, staring in the direction draco had gone, "i'm fine."

y/n sighed and placed a hand on his shoulder, "between you and me, he's a complete prick. don't take anything he says to heart."

her words made harry laugh and y/n smiled at him. she turned towards the other two, "i've missed you all. how was your summer?"

hermione took her into a friendly hug, "good, actually! and we missed you, too."

ron was next to pull her into a hug except his was tighter and longer. it was so weird to him how the two had gone from completely inseparable to hardly ever talking, he missed his best friend. "how are your parents?" he asked her.

"they're doing well. mum's still running the book shop and dad's still working in the ministry. they've asked about you a few times." y/n responded before pulling harry in for another friendly hug. she turned her head down and noticed draco and his friends were waiting for her at the end of the train, an annoyed look on his face.

she rolled her eyes and the others looked to see what she was looking at, "i'd better go."

"yeah. don't wanna keep malfoy waiting." harry spat. y/n gave him a sad smile before turning to walk away. she walked up to her boyfriend and threw him a glare. she didn't stop to grab his hand but instead walked straight passed him and flipped her hair.

he and his friends followed quickly behind, "what'd i tell you? complete nutter."

y/n stopped quickly and turned around, putting a hand to his chest, "you never know when to stop, do you?"

he scoffed, "oh please. he has it coming."

"has what coming? you know, i'm positive he doesn't like your rude and sarcastic remarks and i, quite frankly, don't like them either. i think it's time you grow up, draco."

he didn't say anything, he was baffled from her scolding. he just grabbed her hand and pulled her roughly towards the carriages. they walked up to an empty one and he noticed she didn't get in. "sit. down." he whispered aggressively in her ear.

"make me." she shot back, crossing her hands over her chest.

he sarcastically chuckled before wrapping his hand around the back of her neck, "just do as i say."

her heart began to beat faster in her chest and her face began to flush. she didn't say anything else and quickly climbed into the carriage. he smirked before sitting down across from her, resting his hand on her knee.