50. Past Present

Song: Ed Sheeran- The A Team

"Drake," she waved a hand in front of his face. He'd been staring blankly at Teddy's shoe for almost eight minutes. Upon hearing her, he shook his head and met her eyes, "What?"

"Are you alright? You seem spacey," she felt his forhead and looked at him worriedly. "Fine. Just thinking," he took her hand, rubbing little circles with his thumb.

Hermione still looked dissatisfied, "Memories again?"

He bit his lip and she had her answer. "I asked Harry and Ginny about you once. They told me about how you babysitted Teddy from time to time. Thank you for that," Andromeda gave a small nod in Draco's direction.

"I can't believe you babysat Teddy. Is that why you're so good with him?" Hermione immediately wondered. "I cannot say I agree with being good but I'll admit it got easier once I had my wand back. I could not possibly imagine the struggle your parents went through, to raise you without any assistance. I was only with him for a day and did nothing but watch him, and still, I was exhausted." Draco explained, training his eyes to follow Teddy like he always did when the small child was around.

Hermione laughed a little, "Makes it a lot easier when you don't have to warm milk and have a husband who's willing to fetch everything." He rolled his eyes, "Could have used some of that. I had never cooked a thing in my entire life nor had I ever changed a diaper, really I'd never held a baby before. I sound like I live under a rock."

"Is that what you did all year while I was in Australia? Watched over Teddy and learned how to cook and clean?" She wondered, still hoping that one day he'd be willing to tell her about that year and his time in prison.

He shrugged, "I had a lot to focus on. I got my Hogwarts letter that day. The day I watched Teddy. I had to start figuring out how to not be some git, make people like me and not just my father's image. It was only a few months between then and September first. I did always see him on holiday and Harry would send me goofy pictures from time to time. Over Christmas, Molly really tried teaching me how to do all the housework. I'll admit the Weasleys' kettle hasn't been the same since." He chuckled lightly at the little memories he'd gathered over the past two years. His birthday was coming up and not so much before would be the day everyone dreaded, the day everything went to crap. It was something he'd known since the day it took place, he'd always be spending this day at home alone or just hidden in general. He shook the thought of the date, trying to focus on only April 15th, 2000.

Hermione watched his eyes and expressions, trying to read him but coming up blank. "Did you think you'd go at first? To Hogwarts?"

"I didn't think it through that much, I practically signed it the moment I knew it existed. Not till afterwards did I even begin to think what it would be like, the risks, repercussions. Sometimes I regret being so aloof," he met her gaze, "Did you ever think about not going back?"

"I hardly think there were any repercussions to finishing your education. But I held the letter for a while. I was living with my parents and Ally at the time. It was promising, their memories almost fully back by a week before the due date. I signed it the day before due, dad remembered how much I loved school as a teenager and said I had to. I didn't want to let him down.." she had awkwardly folded her arms, seeming uncomfortable and cold.

"It wasn't anythin close to the Hogwarts I remember," he said suddenly but hushed. She looked up at him, sort of knowing what he meant but his elaboration confirmed her knowing less than expected from her inferences.

He took off his jacket and draped it around her shoulders. She had the essence of a laugh on her mouth, a small smile teasing him for wearing two jackets. "Its not a sin to be warm, Hermione." He glared.