Chapter 12

After having driven about 10 miles, Rui almost fell out of the passengers seat. To prevent that, Wes had to hit the breaks.
"What do you think you're doing???"
"Look at that!" Rui pointed up into the sky. No. When Wes looked where she was pointing at, he saw an immense tower. Clear white, shining in the sunlight. It was a beautiful sight.
"I want to look." Rui said determined.

- Construction Site -

"Wow, it's way bigger from up close."
Wes agreed with Rui, but said nothing.

"Whoa, hold it there. This is a construction site. It's not a safe place to be." One of the workers stopped them. "This is no place for tourists to visit. Go on, scram."
"Rude..." Rui said.
We had walked up to some other workers to ask what this place is and how long it has been here.
"Ayup, it's been a mighty long time. I can't rightly recall when it was that I was last at home. But, we're just about done here. All that's left is to clean up the site and we're done." One of them said.
"Aaaaahhh..." the other one sighed. "Been working hard, I have. Let me tell you, making this here huge tower'sone massive job. Its hard to imagine, even for me. Y'all come back to visit when we're all done here. There will be a colosseum on top of the tower. Amazing stuff!"
"Nice." Wes looked up to the tower and excitement build up in his body. He couldn't wait 'til the moment he can battle here.

"But since we can't do anything here now, let's continue our way to Pyrite town. Okay?" Rui helped Wes out of his own world by saying this.

- Pyrite Town -

'What is this dirty place?' Wes thought to himself at arrival. Everywhere he looked he saw thugs and scoundrels walking around.
The atmosphere was the complete opposite from Phenac city. Less clean, less neat. The people dressed in more rough-looking clothes.

At the town's entrance it seemed like a green-haired guy got into trouble. He acted innocent, however, to the officer in front of him.
"Awww, Mr. Johnson, give a man a break here. I keep telling you. I don't know anything."
"That better be true, Cail. If you're trying to con me, I'll know about it!" Johnson warned him.
"Mr. Johnson, sir! I wouldn't think about lying to you! You've got to believe me, right?"
"All right, fine. I'll let you off easy today. See you!" Johnson said before walking further into town.
Cail watched him go and snickered. "What a nitwit. Of course I haven't got a thing to tell YOU."

"What was that about?" Wes thought out loud whilst walking into town.

"Hm? What are you looking at?" Cail growled at him. "I haven't seen your face around these parts. What are you, tourists? If you don't want to get hurt, you should het lost. And quick. For the good of your health. Heheh."
Wes clicked his tongue and walked towards the police station to gain information about the place.

---

*Inside the police station*

"Hey, sir-"
Wes got interrupted by someone running into him, almost knocking him over. "For God's sake-!"
"Owowowowow... I'm sorry Chief. But there's trouble afoot!" Johnson came running in, still dizzy from his crash. "You see, Chief, there's talk that hugs have been witnessed using strange Pokémon..." He then recovered, looking confused at Wes. "...Huh? Chief? ...You're not the Chief... I beg you pardon!"
"I'm here, Johnson..." The Chief said. "That story isn't new. I've heard about it over and over already."
Rui tried to hide her laugh.
"Oh! Oh, Chief, there you are! You're such a kidder!" Johnson responded, laughing awkwardly.

Focussing on Wes again, the Chief introduced himself as Sherles, the chief of the town's police. He then warned Wes and Rui about the place. "It's best if you were to get out of the town as soon as possible. This town's descended into a state of lawless chaos. I couldn't guarantee your safety if anything were to happen."
"Thanks for the warning, but we have some business here." Wes said and left the police station.