Chapter 13

Observing the town as they walked through it, they didn't find much trouble. They did hear a story about the time when someone named Duking was in charge of the town. The time when there were less trouble going on.
His house was supposed to be somewhere to the left of town.
Inside his house, Duking introduced himself as the man in charge of the Town's colosseum. "And if you want to attend a battle, go see the colosseum's receptionist. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm busy."

Taking place somewhere out of Duking's hearing distance, Rui told Wes that she thought something's off about him. Being this blunt?
Wes didn't really think anything, until he met eyes with a small kid which was standing next to a bookshelf.
"Um... I'm the lookout!" The boy said, clearly startled. "Nobody is supposed to get by me! There's nothing special behind the bookshelf!"
"Oh is there?"
Wes examined the shelf and discovered a button on its side, which he pressed, revealing an opening in the wall.
Inside was a cave-like room, with rocks and a small waterfall, furnished like an office. A group of children were gathered around a table, discussing all seriously.
They got caught off guard by Wes' entry. "Um.. Are you Papa's friends? I'm Marcia. I'm pleased to meet you." The oldest girl said hesitantly. "But, sorry, we're busy. We're talking about something that's quite important. Please come visit and play with us another time."
"We're sorry we disturbed you." Rui apologised and they left the room.

"Duking! How much more are you going to take from Miror B. and his stooges?! Here using you and the colosseum! What is the matter with you? Have they sucked the spirit right out of you or something?"
A young man had entered the building and was ranting to Duking. He slammed his hands onto the desk as Duking ignored his words by looking away.
"Tch. So you just clam up. I've lost faith in you!" The man yelled and left.
'What the-' Wes thought.
As if the little boy from the lookout could read his mind, he clarified what had happened. "The man that went out is Silva. He's Duking's friend. But he was really angry. His face looked all scary."

Outside, Silva was long gone. Nowhere to be seen.
Continuing their way deeper into town, Wes and Rui drew near 5 trainers battling each other in a circle formation.
"Wes... It was here in this square that I saw that strange Pokémon. I tried to leave town afterwards and... that's when those creeps grabbed me. We should be careful. Even at the best of times, there's nothing normal about this town."
Wes thought otherwise. He wanted answers about Cipher's peculiar Pokémon he heard about since Snagem joined forces with them. Therefore, he walked straight up to the first guy in the square, who immediately accepted the challenge. The other 4 trainers followed.
Whilst gaining information, Wes was able to catch the following Pokémon which had a black aura: Misdreavus, Skiploom, Quagsire, Flaaffy and Noctowl.

Just outside of the square, a boy on roller skates was singing about joyful battles and mocked Wes afterwards for a battle. The consequence: losing his Slugma, snagged away from him.

---

"So... After knocking them all out... What did we learn exactly?" Rui asked Wes when they were walking into the town's colosseum to heal up.
"Hmm... We got to know that when a Pokémon goes into Hyper Mode, its attacks are more likely to become critical hits. When you want them to snap out of that state, back to reality, you need to call its name. Also, the move these Pokémon use, Shadow Rush, apparently can inflict damage without being affected by the target's type; not varying in amounts of damage. Nothing about Snagem or their actions, however."
"I think this town is hiding a big secret, though."

???: "Tch! I didn't get here in time to make the registration."
"You sound eager to enter?" Rui said to the unknown guy after turning to him.
"Yeah, I've heard rumours that if you win the challenge, you get an awesome Pokémon like that Cail did... Oh, sheesh, what am I saying?" He slightly panicked. "You have to keep that a secret! Pretend you never heard me, okay?"
"Okay?"

Outside of the colosseum, Rui stopped walking. "Wes! Wasn't Cail that guy who was hanging around the town's entrance? We should ask him. He might know about something."
Wes nodded and they headed for the town's entrance.