📷 My Muse || Chapter Twenty Six

The following days went by smoothly.

Ray participated in our plans, like he always had.

The only difference was that he wouldn't speak a word to me.

I guess it was good. Every time I glanced at him, my heart ached. I wanted to just jump in his arms and make him smile. Instead, all the world would ever get from him now was a dull gray glare.

Had Ray always looked like that? Or was I the reason he smiled?

"y/n..." Gilda whispered, tapping my book. Emma and I had invited her to the library to study with us. "Is everything okay?" 

Emma turned to me as well, placing her hand over mine. "Gilda's right, you've been looking a little sad lately." 

The green haired girl sighed, correcting her. "No... y/n looks very sad... like something she loves was taken away from her."

Tears welled up in my eyes, thinking about Ray.

"G-Guys..." My voice started to break, ready to come clean with my friends. "W-What if someone you loved... lied to you?"

"I-It depends?" Gilda asked, confused. "What happened?"

I bit my cheek, not sure if they'd understand. I wanted to tell them so badly. It hurt keeping all these feelings trapped inside. "It's okay, y/n." They squeezed my hands, making me feel warm and safe. 

"I-I loved Ray. I liked him s-so much. B-But he lied to me. He betrayed m-my trust. And after I found out what he lied about and what he-he'd done... It made me question o-our whole relationship." I stuttered out, in between hiccups. Emma and Gilda ran over to my side, wiping away my tears. Emma grimaced. She knew she couldn't explain it yet. What Ray had lied about. "H-He lied to me, Gilda. He lied to me s-so many times."

She continued to hold my hand. "Everyone lies to each other, y/n. I think Ray lying to you is terrible. But try to ask him the reason why he did? It might not change anything, but you never know."

Emma joined in, smiling at me earnestly. "I hate what he did to you and I hate that you still want to be with him. But I love him as a family, and I love you like a sister. All that I know..." she nodded at Gilda, who nodded back. "All that Gilda knows, is that when you were with each other, you always smiled the brightest."

"Th-Thank you..." I cried, tears streaming down my cheeks. "Thank y-you for listening, tha-ank you for b-being there for me. I-I love you guys s-so much!" 

They squeezed me even tighter, both their eyes growing wet. 

I would do anything to keep this family safe. 

Everyone here is dear to me, and if I could do anything about it, they will stay alive and happy.