⭐ My Muse || Chapter Eighty Nine

"Howdy doo, partnay," Yuugo said, playfully nudging my shoulder. I sighed, taking a long sip of coffee. "It's too early in the morning for your shit, old man." He fake gasped loudly, clutching his chest. "How could you, my sweet y/n!" I laughed, the hot liquid sloshing onto my hand. I clicked my tongue, looking for a napkin. "Here," Zack said, handing me a towel. I took it, glancing at his small smile. "Thanks."

Everything seemed to go back to normal. Ray and I... Were 'together' now. So were Emma and Oliver. I suspected that Gillian and Nigel had a thing for each other, but the two loudest people in the family were actually the shyest when it came to love. It was cute, really.

Waking up in the morning, shaking Ray awake and taking a very large mug of coffee became routine. Zack and I became best friends, fighting and sparring together, without holding back. "If I was your girlfriend, you'd go easier on me, right?" I teased, winking at him. He always wins, pinning me down and smirking. "No, actually I'd be more tough." He replied, pulling me up. Every day was set in a simple schedule. Researching the Seven Walls, planning hunts and storming Grace Field. We had exactly one year left.

"Happy birthday, Ray!" Everyone cheered as I dragged him outside. "You're nineteen now!" Emma smiled, holding Oliver's hand. The black haired boy grinned, pulling me into a hug. "I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you." Even Zack gave him a friendly pat on the back. It should've been a great day.

But instead, the lights flickered off, Lucas and Rossi stumbling into the hallway. His eyes were wide open, holding the little boy's hands. "They're here. The hunters. We all scrambled to the security room, watching a squad of demons and soldiers approach the shelter. I grit my teeth. Why now of all times? I wasn't- I wasn't ready to leave. I loved this place. I loved my morning coffee, my warm bed, the library, the bathroom, being here with my family. But it was all being torn away. "Grab the weapons." I hissed, running into my room. "The cave system. The vents. We have to get out. Now." I shoved the pen into my pocket, noticing the pendant on my neck starting to glow red. Why is it doing this? Emma, Gilda, and all of the little ones snuck into the hidden cave system William Ratri had built around the shelter. "In case it were to be attacked and you children needed to escape," He had said. Thank you, dad. All of the girls had squeezed their way inside, leaving Pepe, Oliver, Zack, Ray, Yuugo and Lucas left in the shelter. The ceiling had started to crack, as I called them inside. "C'mon, guys! We don't have time for this!" The two older men looked at me sadly, the younger four averting their gaze. Then it hit me. They wouldn't fit through the vent. "No, no, no, no, you stupid idiot!" I hissed, glaring at Ray. "Just- Just break the wall! C'mon-!" Emma grabbed my arm, pleading for Oliver to hurry up. His crimson eyes welled up with tears. "I love you, Emma." He said, patting her head. Chunks of wall started to break, dust falling to the floor. I heard a muffled shout from the other end of the shelter. I grabbed Ray's leg. "Ray, please-" My voice started to crack. He smiled, turning away from me. He slung his gun into his arms, aiming towards the hallway. He brushed his hair aside, taking aim. "Zack! Tell him to go! Zack-!" I pleaded with the other boy, reaching for his arm. The boy squeezed my hand, taking off his headband. He sloppily placed it on my head. "If I make it back, I get a kiss, okay?" Ray playfully nudged his shoulder/ They were smiling. They were all smiling. "Y- You can't- You can't go!" I shouted, my heart on fire. My chest was burning up, tears running down my face.

"y/n." Ray's voice was clear but low. "One year ago, I selfishly planned to set myself on fire to save you. Today, I'm selfishly planning to sacrifice myself to save you, again." He clicked the hammer on his pistol, tables and chairs starting to fall over. Our home... "If Zack makes it out alive, give him that kiss. If I make it out alive, marry me, okay?" That sad grin. I couldn't- I couldn't do this. I just got him back. I just- Emma grabbed my arm, her voice trembling. "W-We have to g-go!" She pulled me away, deeper into the cave. I shouted, I resisted, batting her hands away. "Ray! Ray! Stop, I need to help him- I need-" Something hard bonked my head, making me go dizzy. "She's less of a hassle sleeping than awake." I heard Paula hiss, throwing me over her shoulder. I heard Don's cries. "W-We're failing them again. We- We're the ones killing them."

I can never do anything to help. I wish I could fight in their stead. God, if you're out there... Please, bring them home. Bring Ray home. I know I've asked you this many times. But I can't lose him again. I can't lose anyone, ever, ever again.