📷 My Muse || Chapter Two

"Mama!"

Muffled voices and childish shrieks echoed in my sleepy head. "Mhmm..." I dug my head deeper into my crossed arms, ignoring the soft clink of a bowl being placed in front of me. "y/n! Good morning!" I lazily muffled a "Hello." Into my sleeve and I heard Emma's familiar voice giggle back. "I guess you're still tired..." She said, and the trotted off to play with the little ones.

I shifted my head onto it's side and watched them play. "I'm going to eat you!" Emma laughed. Her golden hair bounced over her shoulders as she chased little Phil and other children around the dining room. Ray called out in a mocking voice, "Hey, Emma, what are you? Five?" As he laughed to himself.

Ray was always like this.

Sarcastic, a bit mean, definitely blunt... and distant.

He's always so distant.

Ray suddenly turned to me and stuck out his tongue. Like he knew I was watching him. I felt my face grow hot and I turned the other way. "What a freaking weirdo...". "Ah-" I found myself face to face with Norman. I hadn't noticed he had taken the seat next to me. "Good morning, y/n." He yawned sleepily, his head and arms in the same turtle position I was in. I giggled to myself, greeting him back. "Long night?" He asked. I blushed. "Y-you could say that." I replied, shyly.

At about 7:30 Ray had woken me up from my nap in the observatory. I found myself nestled in his blankets, my head on his lap. "A-ah, I'm sorry..." I stuttered, stumbling to my legs. He laughed at my embarrassment and tugged on his bangs. "It's... It's okay..."

I don't know if it was the orange-pink sky but his face was bright red.

"y/n!"

"Ack!" I jerked up from my nap, bonking my head into something hard. "Ow..." I shrinked back into the table, rubbing the top of my head. "You got to stop doing that..." A familiar voice said from behind me. Ray's warm hand, larger than mine, lightly patted my head. "Be more careful, stupid."  "S-Sorry..." I muttered, feeling my face grow warm. I started to rub my head again, but not from the pain.

My stomach grumbled and I had finally remembered what time it was. I grabbed a spoon and started scarfing down my breakfast. I brought my empty plate to the kitchen, a room adjacent to the dining room where Mama where doing the dishes. "Good morning, y/n." She said, fondly kissing my forehead. I giggled, replying with another good morning. She smiled softly at me, cupping my cheek with her hand. "Could you move all of the kids to the exam room? It's testing day!" I nodded a "yes" to her and ran off into the dining room to tell everyone where to go.

On our way to the room, Emma caught up to me and leaped onto my back. "Hi, y/n!" I smiled at her energetic cheerfulness. She could brighten up anyone's day. "Are you okay?" She asked me. I felt a warm flush rise onto my cheeks. "Yeah, of course! Why wouldn't I be?" She giggled, poking my nose. "You fell asleep at the breakfast table, silly. You never do that." "I-I'm just a bit tired, I guess." I replied, quickly rushing to my seat. I felt her gaze on the nape of my neck.

She wasn't convinced.