The Hybrid - 3

"We got about a mile left." I announced after looking at the map.

"The sun's about to set." Damon says, stating the obvious.

"Wow, thanks for the note captain obvious" I mutter as we walked. 

"I'm just saying."

"The moon doesn't reach its apex for a while Damon, Okay? We still have time" I argue with him as I roll up the map and place it in the pocket of my bag. 

We look over when we hear some twigs snapping a few feet from us. A man staggers out and Alaric and I raised our weapons at him.

"Stay where you are!" Alaric orders.

The man looks at Damon, his eyes have blood streaks dripping from them, which doesn't look normal "Vampire." he mutters weakly at Damon. 

He rushes over to Damon and they fight and the guy manages to push Damon against a tree, trying to get a bite. 

 Alaric and I shoot arrows at him but the man is still trying to bite Damon. Elena takes the wolfsbane grenade from her bag and pulls the pin from it.

"Damon!"

She throws it to him and he makes it explode on Ray's face. He screams and his face burns. Damon kicks him in the stomach which renders him unconscious. 

I kept my compound bow at my side as we all approached his body. 

"Let me guess. Hybrid."

....................

"These ropes aren't gonna hold him much longer. What else do we have?" Damon asks as he and Alaric are tying the hybrid to a tree with several ropes and chains. 

I quickly spray a rope with vervain as I answer  "Ric, here. Take these." 

Damon goes for it instead which makes his skin sizzle 

"Aah! Ow!" 

I raised my hands in defense. "I said Ric."

Alaric takes it and puts it around him.

"All right, that's the last of the vervain. We don't have enough stuff to hold him. I don't think we're gonna make that Ridge before the full moon."

Elena looks at him and takes a step forward. "If we can get him to talk, we don't have to."

Elena reaches out her hand to touch his face, but just before her hand touches, he wakes up and screams. 

"Is he turning?" I questioned in surprise and confusion as his bones start to break. 

Elena shakes her head. "It's impossible. It's still daylight."

Alaric looks at him. "Tell him that."

Damon gets closer to him and holds down his shoulders.

"There aren't supposed to be werewolves out here until the moon is full." Elena states.

"You know, those ropes aren't gonna hold the wolf." I exclaim.

The man screams and snarls as his bones shift.

"Damon, we've gotta get out of here. We gotta get out of these mountains now! Damon, now!" Elena yells at him and then we run.

We broke into a run, heading to where we parked the car. 

The sound of someone tripping makes me stop and whirl around, Elena was on her hands and knees and the wolf was right in front of her. 

 "Don't move." Damon orders. 

Elena tensed and raises her head coming face to face with a werewolf. She held back a gasp of shock at his form. The werewolf glanced away and when she tried to move he whipped his head back at her and growled.

"Here, doggie, doggie." Damon calls out before running away with the werewolf on his tail.

"Come on. Let's keep moving." Alaric says helping me to my feet.

"We can't leave Damon." Elena yells.

"He can handle himself. Let's move." Alaric yells back.

"No. If he gets bit, he'll be dead, we're the reason he's out here." Elena yells back.

Alaric argues back with urge. "I am the reason he's out here. I told him where we were, and I'm telling you to keep moving. Let's go, now!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sit in the back of the car, I rest my head against the window, tired and exhausted. The next time I say I wanna go into a huge and dense forests with werewolf's roaming around, someone remind me to bring wolfsbane. 

"Stefan's out there somewhere and now Damon, and we're just sitting in this car?" Elena says in disbelief from the front seat. 

Alaric sighs. "Let the vampires fight the hybrid zombie mountain man. I'll take care of keeping the humans safe."

Elena turns to him. "I thought you were checked out of taking care of people."

Alaric scoffs. "I know what you're doing. Don't. There doesn't need to be a lesson here."

I looked forward and raised a brow. "You're better at it than you think, you know?"

Alaric chuckles. "Oh, boy, are you a sucker for a lost cause or what?"

I sit up and rest my head against the car seat, "You're not a lost cause, Ric. You're just lost" Elena takes over.

 "But so is Jeremy, and so are we. Our family is gone. We don't have anybody. I'm sorry, but you don't have anybody either, so...We're kind of good for each other."

Alaric lifts his ring up to Elena, "I'm keeping the ring, then."

I smile "Good, because I don't want it"

"Damon?" Elena questions, looking out the window. I looked out myself, seeing him walk towards the car. 

She gets out of the car and so do Alaric and I, leaning against the closed door. 

"Are you okay? Did you...?" Elena asks him. "Fine, bite-free. Get back in the car, please."

Elena sighs at him. "Can you just give me a minute to appreciate that you're not dead?"

Damon smirks. "I'll give you 10 seconds. 9, 8..." He grabs her by the shoulders and marches her toward the car. "Hey, Ric, did you happen to see where I parked my car?"

"Damon, stop being such a caveman." Elena grumbles as she gets in. Damon opens the door to the back for me and we get in. 

"I'm glad you're okay" I told him, yawning a little as I rested my head against the window and slept.