Smells Like Teen Spirit - 1

Elena and I are out in the woods, training on one of Alaric's mannequins. He shows Elena how to stake a vampire with a sleeve and two stakes in it. We were both dressed in leggings, tanks, sweaters and got up early for training before school. She was the one who wanted to, Alaric and I were more forced out of bed.

"So the pressure of your punch ejects the stakes." Alaric explains to her after demonstrating.
Elena nods. "Easy enough." She tries it herself but the stakes stay in the sleeve and does not puncture the puppet.

Elena frowns as she moves her hand back "That's weird." She tries again but it doesn't work.
Elena starts hitting it with her hand. "Must be jammed or something." She mumbles.

"Let me try" I say as I slip on my own sleeve, Elena moves out of the way and I stand in front of the mannequin and punch it right on the target. The stakes ejecting. I grin and spin to Alaric and Elena with a smile.

"Show off" Elena grumbles as she hits the sleeve once more.

"You've had how many months of training?" I thought about it for a second, I asked Alaric to train me after what happened at the Masquerade party, so....7 months.

"7 months"

"And you've killed more supernatural creatures than me as well. Guess we know which twin is carrying on the Gilbert legacy"

I laughed while Alaric kept explaining things to Elena

"You're not strong enough" he told her, "Better start lifting some weights, put some meat on your bones."

Elena gives him a glare. "Thanks for not sugar-coating it."

Alaric then reaches into his bag and takes a vervain grenade out and shows it to us.

"You know what this is?" He asks her.

Elena nods. "A vervain grenade. I've used one before."

Alaric nods. "Then you know the element of surprise is your only advantage when it comes to a vampire." He pulls the pin out of a grenade and throws it in Elena's hands.

"Surprise."

Elena's eyes widen "Oh my god." She quickly turns around and throws it in the air before it explodes.

Elena then turns to glare at Alaric. "This isn't a joke to me, Ric." she says as She angrily pulls off her sleeve.

"You think I'm joking? Vampires will take whatever they want. They will hurt whoever they want. And they'll do it without remorse. It's their nature."

Elena sighs. "You don't have to use pronouns. You can say Stefan."

Alaric furrows his brows. "Look, I get why you're here. Stefan hurt you. You don't want it to happen again."

Elena sighs. "But you think that I'm crazy. To believe that I can protect myself from a vampire who's flipped the switch on his humanity."

Alaric shakes his head. " I think you found a way to get out of bed this morning. And that makes you the strongest person I know. I think that you can do pretty much anything."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Here we are. Senior year."

Caroline, Bonnie, Elena and I stare up at the building. At the flock of new juniors, freshman, sophomores, and seniors that were walking in and out the building.

Senior year.

How did we survive junior?

I mean...how.

Bonnie has her arms on her hips as she looks at us. "Anyone else think it should feel slightly more empowering?"

Caroline smiles trying to be enthusiastic. "Okay. So prank night was a bust. But we are accepting it, and we are moving on."

Bonnie nods as we start to walk. "You're right. I mean, why should I let the fact that my boyfriend is seeing the ghost of his dead girlfriends hinder this experience?" She says sarcastically.

I nod. "And why should I let the fact that my brother tried killing himself to see the ghost of our dead sister" I say sarcastically, as soon as I found out what he did I was more than furious.

I mean he's insane.

Who in their right minds kills themselves to see a dead relative?

Okay fine, in our family I'd see it happening.

Caroline nods in agreement and smiles. "Yes! And why should I let the fact that my boyfriend was turned into a hybrid put a damper on an otherwise fabulous day."

Elena stops in her tracks. "Today's our anniversary" we all paused in our tracks and turned to her "Technically, Stefan and I met on the first day of school last year."

Caroline nods at her words. "Yeah. You win."  I tilt my head at her. "Are you sure you want to be here?"

Elena nods. "I have to be here. I have to put it behind me. New year. New life."