Ghost World - 1

Mystic falls has a lot of town traditions.

A lot.

For example: Miss Mystic, Founders Day and today's special is Night of Illumination.

When we hang up lanterns in the trees and well light them up like they did 150 years ago. You can just imagine what they look like at night.

I stood with Alaric and Jeremy with the crowd as we watched Carol give her speech from the podium in the town square. 

"As a long-time member of the Historical Society, I am especially proud to be kicking off this day of festivities. Thank you, volunteers. Tonight, we turn off our town's lights and flare up our lanterns in honor of the night of illumination started by our founders 150 years ago. Here's founding family member Tobias Fell with a history lesson"

I checked the time on my phone before turning to Alaric "Ric, I love a family outing as much as the next person but what are we doing here?"

"Tobias Fell is the head of the history department. I didn't have a choice."

Jeremy tilts his head at him "All right, that explains what you're doing here."

"Well, I'm the one who can fail you if you don't help me out."

I gave Alaric a pout, "You suck."

"Hey, sorry I'm late." Elena says when she joins us. "What did I miss?"

"You didn't miss anything." Jeremy assured.

"Anything rather important" I mumbled as I looked back to Tobias Fell on the podium.

"The first illumination was held in celebration with the newfound prosperity that Mystic Falls enjoyed after the war." Tobias Fell said.

Jeremy let out a small laugh which made Elena frown "What's so funny?" 

Jeremy just motions to the stage and Elena finally turns around "The founders, they placed lanterns over the doors to indicate that it was safe for their neighbors to come outside again. That night was an opportunity for the community of Mystic Falls to come together, a chance to strengthen ties with neighbors, business owners, and the..."

I yawned halfway into the speech "I'm starving, let's just go to the grill"

Alaric nodded rapidly "Yes please"

The four of us ditched the rest of Tobias Fells speech and went straight for the grill to get some food, taking a seat at one of the outside tables.

"Hey, Jer, I need you to help me with something." Elena started to say as she started to pull out Stefan's journals from her bag.

"What's up?"

"I've been going through Stefan's old journals. Every single time that he's gone off the rails in the past, his best friend Lexi's been the one to bring him back."

"So where is she now that we need her?" Alaric asked.

"She's dead. Damon killed her on Stefan's birthday" I explained nonchalantly and Alaric made a face that read 'of course he did.'

"And you want me to try to reach her, don't you?" Jeremy questioned Elena knowingly.
"I thought if I knew how she did it, maybe I could help him."

"I don't even know if she's on the other side." Jeremy countered.

I raised an eyebrow "That's what it's called? I thought it was just called Supernatural hell" I muttered as I took a sip of water.

"That's what Anna calls it. There's not like an official brochure or anything."

"So what is it, like some sort of supernatural purgatory?" Alaric questioned.

"Well, Anna said it's like being here with all of us, only we can't see her or hear her. And she can't interact with anyone. She's all alone." Jeremy explained.

"Vicki could interact. She blew up my car." Alaric muttered as he crossed his arms.

"Vicki had help from a witch on the other side. Anna...She's doing this all by herself."

"I'm just saying, maybe we learned our lesson about summoning dead people." Alaric put in simpler terms.

I nodded lightly  "Amen, Hallelujah."