The Departed - 1

“Is she going to be alright?” I asked Meredith. We were at the hospital. I got a call from a freaking out Jeremy that Elena had collapsed and that there was blood everywhere. He rushed her to the hospital and then Matt, Caroline, Tyler and I rushed to the hospital.

Taking her to the hospital probably wasn’t the best idea with Alaric still running around, especially now at night. But Jeremy was already on-route to the hospital when he called. “She is going to be fine.” Meredith assured.

“The blood loss and concussion were the result of her fainting spell.” I knew it. “She just needs to rest now.” 

Jeremy nodded. “Got it.” He pulled out his phone and motioned to the side. “I’m gonna call Damon.” 

“Good luck.” When Damon finds out he’s going to be pissed. “We need to get her out of here.” I told Meredith, “Before Alaric decides to pay a visit.” She nodded. “I’ll draw up the paperwork, you can go get her ready.” 

Matt stayed behind waiting for the paperwork while Caroline and I went to Elenas hospital room. She was confused as to why she was in there so Caroline explained it all to her. As soon as the paperwork was drawn up Jeremy signed her out and we made a beeline back to her house. 

Tyler and Matt open the front door and Caroline and I bring Elena through. "Couch." We ordered immediately as we led her there. 

Elena retorts. "I'm fine. I just...I want something to eat first." 

Tyler nods. "We're on it, as soon as we make sure no one is lurking in the closets." He and Matt head up the stairs to do just that. 

"All right, couch, now!" Caroline orders more sharply. "Uhh, I told you I'm fine." Elena said annoyed at us coddling her. We sit her down at the couch and grab a nearby blanket for her. 

"Doctor says rest,” I throw the blanket over here. “you rest." 

"Now, what can I get you?” Caroline asked. “Do you want some tea, maybe some vodka? Both will help you sleep." Elena simply stares. “I know,” Caroline sighed, sitting down. “I'm being smothering. It's what I do." 

Elena shook her head. "No, it's-it's nice."

Caroline grins. "I'm thinking-maybe tea with vodka." 

~~~~~~~~~

Wow. I stare at the amount of blood on the plastic wrap. The rich red color was mixed with the white, it made a nice hot pink color. I can’t believe she fainted mid-painting her parents room. I was too tired from the events of today to join them.

We were going to finish painting this room and then paint Jennas, or I guess my room. I cleaned up a bit, rolling up the plastic tarp. I used a new bucket of paint to finish painting what they couldn't.

When I was done I headed back downstairs where Matt was watching over a sleeping Elena. “I finished painting most of the room,” I shared as I sat down. 

“Don’t you think we should take her somewhere else?” Matt asked as I grabbed the TV remote. “Why? She's as safe as she’ll ever be here.” 

He shrugged, “It’s just that too many vampires have access to the house.” 

“And they’re all on vervain.” I remind him as I flip through TV channels. “No original can compel them.” Matt grumbled something under his breath and sat back in the seat. “What is it?” 

Matt sighed and leaned forward. “Don’t you ever wonder what our lives would be like if the Salvatores never show up to town?” Wow. That’s a serious question. I mean, before I did wonder what life would be like if Stefan and Damon never arrived into town.

At first I thought we would be better off, but now, knowing what I know about the supernatural world and everything in between, I can’t imagine it. “I do think about it sometimes.” I turn the TV off and turn in my seat to face him. “After everything, I’ve even imagined it.” 

Imagining Zach still alive, Vicki. Us living normal lives. But then comes what we would lose. “If it wasn’t for Stefan Elena wouldn’t be alive right now.” And then some more.

Without his sister and parents Jeremy would probably have spiraled even more when he started his druggie phase. I never would have found out the truth about my family.

Never would have met Alaric. Never would have met Stefan. “There will always be good with the bad.” 

Matt looked down in thought and I hoped my words had gotten to him. I know I will never be able to change his perspective on this topic, but I can make him see it through mine. "Where is everyone?" A groggy Elena asked, sitting up from her nap. 

"Tyler and Caroline got a call from their moms.” I told her. What were you dreaming about?" Matt asks. 

"Sophomore year." I sit up and chuckle. "Seems like forever ago." I used to paint more, we didn’t deal with a supernatural threat every 5 minutes. We were just high schoolers. “It was.” 

Elena looks over at Matt. "I'm sorry that I strung you along. I should have figured out what I wanted and just been honest about it.” My mouth falls open and close. This isn’t my conversation. “I’m just gonna-“ I point in all directions, anywhere up here. Do I want to hear about my brother's relationship with my- oh no. I am not saying that in the same sentence. I rushed off. 

I think the room must be somewhat dired by now. I’m about to head up the stairs when someone knocks at the door. “I’ll get it!” 

I open the door, surprised to see Stefan on the other side of it. “Stefan?” I questioned. “I thought you were dumping Klaus' body in the ocean or something.” 

“Jeremy called,” he informed. “Just wanted to make sure everyone was alright.” I nod unconvinced. “Can you cook?”