Heart of Darkness - 2

"You haven't really missed much." I told Jeremy. I had just finished telling him all that he had missed on his time away. I plop down next to him on the bed.

"Well, apart from the fact that Alaric has an alter-ego maniac."

Jeremy did a double take. "What?"

Right. I grab Jeremy's hand and held up the finger with the Gilbert ring. "It looks like every time Ric was killed and brought back he developed a murdering ego."

Jeremy took the news in and stared at the ring on his finger. "You have to stop wearing it." Or else we'll end up with another murdering alter-ego.

Jeremy fiddled with the ring. "Is he alright?"

"For now." Until Klaus shows up and demands to know where the last stake is. I grabbed the remote and motion Jeremy to scooch over to give me room. I was not sleeping on a motel couch, much less sharing a bed with either Elena or Damon.

Elena entered from the bathroom dressed for the night. Unlike her I was wearing a large Mystic Grill shirt and sweats. "Hey what's up with you and Damon?" Jermey questions his sister out of the blue.

"What do you mean? Nothing's up."

Jeremy gives Elena a stern face. "Are you sure about that? Cause even Rose said something." I leaned forward and looked between the two. "She did?" Oh. Oh. I wonder what else she's seen. Oh God I don't even want to know.

"What did she say?" Before Jermey has even a chance of responding Damon came back through the door, carring the tub of ice cream I requested.

"Everything okay in here?" I nod and extend my arms, yearning for the tub of vanilla, strawberry and chocolate ice cream. "Everything will be fine when you hand it over."

He tosses me the tub and I hugged it to me and ripped the lid off. Come to mama. "Okay, well, I'm gonna freshen up. You might want to get some rest. I'm sure Rose will make herself known when she gets back."

We all nodded, Jeremy and I taking plastic spoons and dug into the tub of ice cream. We ended up watched a few old sitcoms on TV since they were the only thing on at this hour. With my jetlag and full stomach I fell asleep quick. At least till Jeremy nudged me awake.

"Ariel, where did Elena and Damon go?"
I groan in annoyance at his voice as I turn in bed and throw the blanket over my head. I peeked out, glancing to the other bed where elena was supposed to be sleeping in. And Damon was no where to be found. "Rose knows where Porter is?" Judging by the way the weight of the bed changed I'd take that as a yes. "We better leave now if we want to make it." Ugh.

I throw the covers off and slipped on my shoes. "Elena probably just went for a walk."

"Or more." Jeremy grumbled as he went to the door. Oh come on. He really thinks that Elena and Damon where.

Jeremy is practically frozen at the door, I joined him and saw why. Elena and Damon where making out. Oh my lord.

I clear my throat as loudly as possible, starling them. Elena covered herself with her sweater in embarrassement.

I can't watch this anymore. I turn back into the motel to get my clothes and change in the bathroom.

When they came back it was pretty awkward. None of us were speaking to one another. I came on this trip to get away from complicated and messy relationships, not to witness one. Thanks to Rose we learned where Mary Porter was. Kansas. It was another long road of silence the way over.

Damon pulled up to the address given to us. We all stepped out and looked at the house, it was an old, abandoned-looking house.

"This is the address." Damon nods.

"Looks about right." Elena looks to Jeremy. "Wait here."

"Why?! So you guys can make out some more??" Jermey snaps. "Jermey." I scold.

Damon narrows his eyes at him. "Don't be a dick. Listen to your sister."

Jeremy scoffs and goes back to the car. "Thank you." Damon turned to the two of us. "Come on."

"I'm actually gonna stay with Jermey if that's okay?" Damon and Elena nod and I go to the car before I'm tempted to change my mind. "Are you okay?" I ask Jermey when I get in.

Jermey looks out the window, not wanting to talk. "I'm fine."

"No you're not." I am the queen of the fake I am fine. I sigh and look out the window as well. "Listen Jer. Elena and Damon, she needs to figure out what she feels for him. You know that, she doesn't wanna be like Katherine, playing with them both. She wants to figure out what she feels, and this is how. So don't go hating her for trying to figure out what she wants."

Figuring out what she wants. What I want. I should listen to my own words. When Elena and Damon came back into view I got out of the car and walked over. Jeremy was still upset to get out and face them. "Did you guys find her?" Damon doesn't say anything and looks away, making his way to the car.

"What happened?" I ask. Elena shifts uncomfortably and sighs. "Kol got here first, she's dead. As for everything else, I'll tell you later." Elena says and makes her way to the car.

I puff out a breath of annoyance. This was going to be a long trip home.