The Reckoning - 3

"Caroline's dad! Stefan, he was able to resist compulsion. I don't know how, but he did it. Maybe it's possible." I rambled as Stefan paced around the gym.

"Yeah, yeah. Maybe it's just mind control, right? Maybe it just takes some focus, a couple decades of training. No big deal."

"Well I'm trying to unleash my inner Caroline here!" I exclaimed in a harsh tone as Stefan keeps pacing.

I rake a hand through my hair as I exchanged looks with Elena before deciding to say something drastic "Stefan, you can control this. When that buzzer goes off, just...just drink from me"

"You don't get it. I can't stop, Ariel! I'm a ripper! A ripper doesn't stop!" he yelled at me and Elena waving his arms around. "I listen to the words that come out of your mouth, and all I hear is the sound of your heart pumping blood through your body"

He moved from me and looked at Elena "And when that clock ticks down...I'm going to have to feed on you. And you want to know what's worse? I'm not going to be able to stop"

Elena shook her head "I don't believe that. You can fight it. You just have to want it bad enough"

"Why, because I love you?"

"Yeah! That's right, Stefan. Because you love me. You'll fight because after everything that we've been through, you owe me that!"

"You know what, you're right. You're right. I owe you everything. Because through all of this, you are the one thing that has kept me from giving up; from turning it all off. But I can't help what I am. The more blood that I get, the more I want, and if I get so much as near yours...You are dead."

"You two are going to have run" Stefan says in between pants as the time on the clock goes down to 16.

"Klaus said that if we run..." I start before he cuts me off.

"I know what he said, but if you stay, it won't matter. Ariel, please, please, please. Elena, there's no other way." Stefan begs.

"There is another way, Stefan. It's for you to fight."

The sound of the buzzer means that time has run out, I look up at the clock which reads 00:00

"Stefan...I love you" Elena says to him. "Fight, Stefan. Don't give up."
"I can't hold it."

Elena and I let out a shrill scream when he rushed to us but instead he landed on the wall behind us. "Run! Go!"

Elena and I break into a sprint and start running out of the gym. "Go!" I yelled at Elena who kept on going. I struggle to open up the locker that Alaric and I stored with a crossbow for emergencies after what happened at the decade dance.

When Stefan appears, struggling to hold himself back and when he sees me he yells "Run!"
I got the door open and pulled out the crossbow, before resuming my running.

I manage to get to the cafeteria before him, and when he gets here he falls on his knees as he tries to fight it.

"Shoot me!" Stefan yells glancing up at me. "Shoot me!"

"Fight it!" I yelled as I loaded the stake. "Shoot me now!"

I grimace as I pull the trigger and shoot him in the abdomen and he let out a grunt of pain

I whirled around when the doors opened and saw Klaus dragging Elena by the arm. He let her go for just a second before rushing to me and ripping the crossbow from my hands and breaking it in half, scattering the stakes around the cafeteria before grabbing me and pulling me back with Elena.

"Now this is fascinating. I've never seen this before. The only thing stronger than your craving for blood is your love for these two girls"

Could he please stop saying that.

"Why don't you turn it off?"

"No!"

Klaus lets us go and sits at a nearby table "Come on. Your humanity is killing you. All the guilt must be exhausting. Turn it off."

"No!"

"Stefan..."

"You're strong."

Klaus stands and walks to Stefan, pulling the stake out "But you're not that strong. Turn. It. Off."

"No!"

Stefan pushes him away and Klaus in turn pushes him all the way back into the far wall "Turn it off!"

"No!" I yelled as Stefans face expression started to change "What did you do?"

"I fixed him. But I think a test is in order, don't you?"

He walks behind Elena and puts his hands on her shoulders "Ripper...Perhaps you'd like a drink.. from the doppelgänger's neck?"

Stefan's face changes into a vampire and he rushes over to Elena.

Before he could reach her, I jumped in between and felt Stefans teeth sink in and I screamed at the pain.

"No, no, no" scolds Klaus as he pulls Stefan away. I fell into his arms and winced at the pain, feeling the blood drink. "Ariel!" exclaimed Elena as she tried grabbing me but Klaus didn't let her.

"Fed off the doppelganger will you?" Klaus asks Stefan as Klaus picks me up all bridal style.

"No..." I muttered with a groan as I reached up to my neck. "I'll be back"

I closed my eyes as I heard Elenas screams. 

"Your an asshole" I muttered weakly as Klaus walked us through the hallway. "Save your strength love. You'll have time to badmouth me all you want later"

"Looking forward to it"

"Well, the verdict's in. The original witch says the doppelgänger should be dead" Klaus announces as he carried me into the science room where his sister, Caroline and Tyler were in.

"Does that mean we can kill her?" Rebekah questioned.

"Hey! What did you do to her!" Caroline exclaimed as Klaus put me in her arms. "She got in between a ripper and his lunch" Klaus answered nonchalantly as Care bit her wrist and made me feed.

"I'm fine" I told Caroline as I got to my feet and started cleaning my neck.

Klaus turned back to his sister and answered her previous question "No, I'm fairly certain it means the opposite."

"What?!" Care and I asked as I felt my wound start to heal and Rebekah held us back.
"Call it a hunch..."

He shows a test tube containing blood to Tyler and Rebekah keeps holding us back. "Elena's blood. Drink it"

"No! No, no, no, Tyler, don't!" Caroline rambled.

"If he doesn't feed, he'll die anyway, love. Consider this an experiment. It's okay."

Tyler struggles but he finally drinks it.

"There we go. Good boy."

Tyler coughs, rolls over the desk, and falls to the floor, screaming and groaning and writhing. He holds his head and screams and his face finally changes. His eyes are yellow, he has fangs and veins under his eyes which makes Care and I exchange glances.

"Well, that's a good sign."