Homecoming - 5

I had to get Matt to take Caroline home, I hurried down the stairs and found Damon exiting the Mayors study. 

"Damon!" I hissed in a silent whisper as I caught up to him. He raised a finger to his lip motioning for me to be silent. 

"Go" 

I nodded and went up the stairs, entering the bathroom. I pulled out a duffle bag filled with vervain and wolfsbane grenades. 

I went to the mayors office, which has a balcony that faces the front of the house. 

The Hybrids were positioned in line, ready to pounce if anything happened to Klaus. 

As soon as I heard the sound of Klaus screaming, I broke into a smile. 

"Bombs away" 

I quickly grabbed two grenades and threw them at the Hyrbids, it didn't take long for them to explode in their faces. 

"Oh my god!" I clamped a hand over my mouth when I saw Klaus pounce on his father, and Mikael screamed in agony as his body burst into flames. 

But how!

I ran back down and found Stefan on top of Damon, "What did you do?!" I yelled at him. 

"He's earned his freedom." Klaus answered as he waltzed back inside the house and towards Damon. 

Stefan stops clutching Damon and stood, facing Klaus. 

"Thank you my friend. You no longer have to do as I say. You're free." Klaus tells him. 

I don't hear the rest because Damon gets to his feet and we flee with his vampire speed all the way to the boarding house. 

"How did this happen?" Elena questions in disbelief with crossed arms as she paced around trying to understand. 

"We thought of everything, Elena! Klaus having hybrids. Mikael turned on us. We brought in Katherine so you weren't in danger. Anything that could have gone wrong we were prepared!" 

"I don't understand. Stefan wanted Klaus dead. More than anything. That's what we were counting on." Elena rambled. 

Damon looks away in anger, "We blew it." I sigh and cross my arms. "Where's Katherine?" 

"She ran for the hills like usual, the minute things got bad! And who blames her?! Klaus would've crushed her. I had him. I had Klaus! This could have all been over!!!"  

Damon angrily throws a bottle of scotch in the fireplace, making the flames grow. 

"Hey. Damon...Hey! Hey, listen to me!" Elena said and grab his face. 

"We'll survive this. We always survive. Trust me." Damon frowns.
"We're never getting Stefan back. You know that, don't you?"

 "Then we'll let him go. Okay? We'll have to let him go." Elena tells him. 

Well this is awkward. 

Thankfully, Damon's phone rang and he stubbornly answered it. 

"Not interested in the play-by-play of our failure right now, Katherine." He says into the phone. 

"That's not very comforting at the moment. You're going back into hiding?" 

Oh please, we all know she will. 

"Take care of yourself, Katherine." 

What did I say?