1912 - 1

"Ariel!" I jumped up at the sound of my name, looking around the room rapidly, "What?!"
I looked around me noticing I wasn't in my room. I fell asleep on the couch last night, god what time was it?

Bonnie, Abby, and Caroline were all staring at me, looking like they were dreading something.

"Why are you all staring at me like that?"

Caroline moved from her seat next to me and gave me a sympathetic look, "I told Bonnie and Abby about what happened yesterday. The memories came back, and Abby-" she paused and looked at Abby, "Abby what?"

"I'm the one who took those memories from you."

I did a double take, just to make sure I heard right. "I'm sorry what?"

Abby sighed and sat forward a bit more to meet my eye, "Your mom, she wanted me to take your memories away. You were only 3 years old at the time, but you had seen so much of your fathers work. He was a hunter."

I'm sorry what?!

"My mom...took my father away from me?"

Abby now looked extremely uncomfortable, "When I- when I became a vampire, the wall I had put up just broke and the memories came back."

My mom...made her take away my memories of my dad?
"Wait," I looked at Abby. "So if my dad was a hunter, could it be that his work followed him to Mystic Falls? And one of the vampires he was hunting killed her?"

Abby nodded, "That's exactly what happened."

Caroline looked at me softly, "Ariel-"

I cut her off by standing up from the couch, "I'm fine."
I am certainly not.

"Uh-" I scratched my head and pointed to the door, "I'm going to go get blood bags from the Salvatores. I'll uh meet you guys at Abby's place."

I grabbed my stuff and ran out before any of them could stop me. I didn't have my car with me, having left it at the grill. I walked all the way, while repeating what Abby had told me in my head over and over again.

My mom had her take my memories of my father away. He was a vampire Hunter, and one of those vampires ended up killing her.

When I got in my car I slammed the door shut and rested my head on the steering wheel. I suppose I get why she did it but I don't know why she did it.

How could she just do that? Take him away from me like that? Did she even care that I would grow up without a father?

I don't know whether to just cry or be angry.

"I don't have time for this." I muttered to myself as I started the car and got on the road.
When I got to the boarding house and went straight to the cooler down in the cellar. I picked up a portable cooler and started throwing blood bags inside.

When my phone buzzed I actually jumped in surprise. Damon, of course it's him. He has the worlds most perfect timing.

"Damon right now is not a really good time!"

"Ow, someone's angry."

"What do you want?"

"So funny story, Ric was arrested for murder."
My eyes widened in shock. "What?"

"He apparently tried to kill Meredith."

I sighed and grabbed the crook of my nose, could this day get any worse? "Ugh. I'm on my way."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I told Caroline that she would have to take the blood bags up to Abby's house. I left them there mainly because I didn't want to stick around to get sympathy from her when I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be feeling right now.

I got to the station as soon as I could and Sheriff Forbes filled me and Damon on what had happened. Apparently Meredith said he had tried to kill her.

Which is totally bullshit. There's no way that he would've done it. Unless she was a vampire or something.

"I didn't do it." Alaric told Sheriff Forbes who had her hands on her hips and head hung low. "If he says he didn't do it then I believe him."

"You're arresting him for what this nut job Dr. Fell says?" Damon questions.

Sheriff Forbes shook her head, "No, I'm detaining him. The cell is for his own good. You were shot; Dr. Fell used vampire blood to heal you."

"Dr. Fell is the one who shot me."

"Because you came at her with a knife!"

"Yeah, with a knife I had found hidden in her things!"

I looked to Sheriff Forbes, "Ric isn't the killer. He was a victim himself!"

"Well, Dr. Fell suggested his wounds could have been self-inflicting."

I looked at her dumbfounded. "You think he would intentionally stab himself!"

She sighed exasperated. "Look, I think I don't know what to think. I've got nothing, except murder weapons from your stash and a respected member of a founding family pointing a very long finger."

"She is setting me up. I'm being framed here!" Alaric exclaimed.

"Well, that may be so, but I don't have any proof of that."

"Fine if it's proof that you want then we'll get it!" I exclaimed. Damon nodded beside me, "We'll get proof."

"No." Forbes said sternly, turning to the both of us. "You two need to stay out of this. You getting involved is only going to make matters worse."

Damon tried to reason with her, "Listen, Liz..."

"Don't make me put you in that cell with him!" Forbes threatened.

Sheriff Forbes gave the three of us one last look and then walked out, Damon on her tail.
"Oh no," Ric said when I turned to him, an idea forming. "No." He said sternly which I pretended I didn't hear. "Yes!"

..................

"Were you just..?" Elena asked Damon and I when we came from the direction of the holding cells.

"Ric's fine. Sheriff wants me to stay out of it." Damon told her.

"But you're not going to. Are you?"

I shook my head, "No."
"Seems just as good a plan as any."

I looked at Damon in shock, "Damon! That's your best friend in there!"

Damon shrugged, "Well, I guess I could rip out Dr. False Accusation's throat. Maybe her tongue. You know, I could chew it up into little tiny pieces and feed it to the squirrels." He made the motion with his teeth and Elena and I rolled our eyes.

"Stop it, Damon!"

Damon nodded, "Guess me staying out of it suddenly sounds like a good idea, doesn't it? I saved your life last night. You're welcome."

Elena gave him a stern look. "You know, you could show a little compassion about Bonnie.
"I know, you're right, her and her mom must be really hurting right now. Should I send lasagna?" He asked sarcastically and I punched his arm for that.

"Now you're just being mean."

"I'm mean, you hate me. The Earth is back on its axis." Damon said with a shrug.

Elena shook her head at him, "You know if you keep pushing people away you're going to end up alone."

I tilted my head at Damon. "She's not wrong. Anyway I'm going to go find evidence to help prove Rics innocent."

Damon frowned at me, "Liz said not to get involved."

"Oh like that is really going to stop me."