Better Angels

The next morning the group was moving into the house

The next morning the group was moving into the house. Hershel decided it would be safer for them to stay inside especially since it was getting colder.

Adelaine was grabbing her stuff from the tent her and Glenn had shared.

She shook her head and sniffled. She grabbed her weapons and made her way out of the tent. She ignored the stares from others and walked over to the truck where most of the group was.

"Gonne be tight, 16 people in one house." Rick said as she approached.

"Don't worry about that. With the swamp hardening, the creek drying up..." Hershel told him.

"With 50 head of cattle on the property, we might as well be ringing the damn dinner bell." Evan said.

"He's right. We should've moved you in a while ago."

"All right let's move the vehicle near each of the doors. Facing out towards the road." Rick instructed. "We'll build a lookout in the windmill, another in the barn loft. That should give us sightlines both sides of the property."

Adelaine didn't listen to the rest and just grabbed a crate of something and started walking towards the house.

She walked into the house and saw bags around the rooms. Everyone had already put their stuff where they wanted and there wasn't much room left.

"You can put your stuff in my room." she turned at the sound of Evan's voice. "O-only if you want to."

"Thanks." she smiled and they walked down the hall to his room. She set her stuff down on the floor and turned to Evan.

She smiled at him but he saw straight through it. He cupped her face and she looked up at him.

"You know you can talk to me right?" he asked. She nodded.

"I know." she told him. Evan nodded.

They both just stared into each others eyes until Evan glanced down at her lips. He slowly leaned down and placed a soft kiss on her lips. She kissed him back for a second before pulling away.

"What? I'm sorry-- I didn't--" Evan started but she cut him off.

"No,no. It's not your fault." she said.

"What is it then?" he asked. She looked down at her feet and Evan shook his head. "Adelaine what's wrong?"

"I-i--" she looked up at him. "I-i have to go talk to Carl."

She stepped away from him and headed for the door leaving him standing there confused. As she stepped out of the room she stopped. Her conversation with Dale came to her mind and she glanced back.

"Go for it." she mumbled to herself. She took a deep breath and spun on her heel. She pushed Evan's door open and he turned to her.

"What are you--"