Inmates

- - -

- - -

"Is everybody dead?"

Katherine looked back at Lizzie as she held Mia on her hip. She glanced at Tyreese who had Judith in his arms and they just kept walking.

When the person shot Katherine they narrowly missed her head and instead shot her shoulder. Tyreese had found her in the woods after she managed to crawl away and helped bandage her up.

Night came quickly and they all sat around a small clearing in the woods. Katherine held Judith in her arms and Mia asleep with her head on her lap. Or so she thought.

"I miss mommy." Mia sniffled as her bottom lip trembled. Katherine saw the little girls eyes welling up and she laid Judith down next to Tyreese.

"I know you do pumpkin." she lifted Mia up and cradled her to her chest as a few tears escaped the little girls eyes.

"I miss daddy too. And Aunt Maggie, Beth, and Uncle Glenn." Mia cried quietly. Katherine shushed the little girl and stroked her hair. "I lost my blanky."

"I know you did but I promise we'll find you a new one as soon as we find your mommy and daddy." Katherine told her.

"I want my mommy." Mia sobbed. Katherine held her as close as possible. Mia had never gotten like this when they were in Woodbury.

Sure, there were some nights where Mia would cry a little bit because she missed her mom but she was only two and just turning three so telling her that they would be back with Adelaine soon was easier to convince the little girl. But now Mia was full on sobbing in her aunt's arms.

"They're gonna hear her." Mica told Katherine softly.

"I know." she rocked Mia back and forth.

"Does she miss her mom?" Katherine nodded at Mica with a sad smile.

"And my daddy." Mia sniffled quietly. "H-He would always play with my toys with me when I was sad a-and he would h-hold me while a go sleep. I-I miss him."

Katherine's heart hurt as she listened to Mia talk about Evan. She knew how attached Mia had gotten to him and the same with him to her. They became inseparable over time and if you looked at them you would automatically think he was her real father.

Of course Katherine knew what a prick Mia's real father was and she was more than happy that Evan got to fill that role for the little girl. They were a perfect little duo and he truly loved her like she was his own.

"I know you miss him baby." Katherine kissed her forehead. "And I know that he is out there looking for you and your mom and we will be back with them in no time."

"I-I just wanna fall asleep with him." Mia's bottom lip trembled.

"Look baby." Katherine reached into her pocket and pulled out a tiny polaroid picture.