I Ain't a Judas

After the attack, everyone went back inside. Adelaine was in her cell while everybody else was outside discussing what to do about the Governor. Since she couldn't stand and she didn't have crutches she was stuck in bed.

Mia walked in and Adelaine smiled.

"Hi baby." she held open her arms and Mia climbed onto the bed.

"I missed you mommy." Mia told her as she laid her head on her chest.

"I missed you too. More than anything else." Adelaine stroked her hair.

"Are the bad men gonna hurt us?" Mia asked quietly.

"No, baby." Adelaine shook her head. "We won't let them. And if they try, I promise that me, Auntie K, and Evan will not let anybody hurt you."

"I love you mommy." Mia wrapped her arms around her mom.

"I love you more." Adelaine sniffled. Mia looked up at her and frowned.

"Why you sad?" Mia put her hands on Adelaine's cheeks and wiped her tears.

"Im not. I'm just so happy that I found you." Adelaine let out a breathy chuckle.

"Auntie K told me that whenever I miss you to look up at the stars. She said you would be looking at the same ones." Mia told her.

"And I was." Adelaine smiled. Mia laid her head back on her chest and Adelaine ran her fingers through her daughters hair.

"Mommy?" Mia asked quietly.

"Yes baby?"

"I-is Evan my daddy now?" she asked while looking at her hands. Adelaine raised her eyebrows.

"Well," Adelaine took a deep breath, "I guess that's up to you and him."

"What if he doesn't want me?" Mia frowned. "Like my real dad."

Adelaine felt her heart break into pieces at her daughters words. Of course it was hard for Mia growing up and not having a father figure. Kids at her preschool and daycare would make fun of her for only having a mom. Pretty harsh for a bunch of two year old's.

"Why would you think that?" Adelaine lifted her daughter's head up.

"I don't know." Mia shrugged.

"Baby, all you have to do is ask him. It doesn't have to be today and if you're not comfortable with it then you don't have to call him dad. Just because he's my boyfriend doesn't mean he has to be your dad. It's up to you baby." Adelaine told her.

"I like him. He's nice." Mia said quietly.

"I know he is. He's a very nice guy." Adelaine smiled. "You don't even have to ask him if you don't want to. It's your decision."

"I like him because he calls me a princess." Mia beamed. Adelaine laughed at her excitement. "And I felt safe when I fell asleep on him." A grin spread across Adelaine's face.

"Then I'm sure that he would be more than happy if you asked him to be your dad." Adelaine tickled her chin making her giggle and smack her hands away.

What the two didn't know was that Evan had heard the whole conversation from outside the door. He was standing there with a huge smile on his face.

------

A few days later, Adelaine was poking holes in a shirt when Evan walked into the cell holding crutches.

"Yes!" Adelaine cheered.