Infected

The next morning Adelaine walked into her cell after going to the bathroom

The next morning Adelaine walked into her cell after going to the bathroom. It was still dark outside and nobody was awake. She saw Evan asleep with his arm over the space she usually slept. He started to stir and he slowly opened his eyes.

"Baby?" he reached out for her on the bed and sat up when he didn't feel her. He calmed down when she walked over and stood in front of him. He looked up at her and she rubbed her hands together.

"I'm not pregnant." she said.

Evan sat up on the bed and looked at her. "You know?"

"I know." she nodded. Evan let out a slightly relieved breath and put his hands on her hips.

"Thank god."

She put her hands on top of his and rubbed her thumbs across them. She looked down at him and brushed some hair out of his face.

"Do you think--" Adelaine bit her lip and hesitated. "Do you think we could keep trying?"

Evan looked up at her. "You want that? Even after Lori?"

"I don't want to be afraid." she spoke. "We can have lives here."

"You-- you want that with me?" Evan asked.

"What do you mean?"

"You'd want to have a kid with me?" he looked up at her and she saw a shimmer of hope in his eyes. She straddled his waist and put her hands on his shoulders.

"Evan, of course I want that with you." she told him. "Why would you think that I don't?"

"I don't know." he shrugged. "I guess, I didn't think you'd want to have a baby with me since we have Mia. I mean, I love her and I'd be totally fine if you didn't want anymore kids."

"No, I do." Adelaine said. "Because, I love you. I want that for us. For Mia to have a little brother or sister. I always wanted that but I never thought I would be able to. But I know that I want a family with you and you'd be an amazing dad. You already are." Evan smiled at her and rubbed his hands up and down her thighs.

"You think?"

"I know." she pecked his nose. "You're amazing with Mia. And Judith likes you more than anyone. You take care of them like your life depends on it."

"I love you." Evan smiled and kissed her lips. She moved to lay down and winced from the pressure on her leg. "Woah, what's wrong?"

"Nothing." she immediately said. Evan gave her a look. "I just think I worked it to hard."

"Babe, you've gotta start taking it easy." he told her. "If you want it to heal--"

"It's never gonna heal." she snapped before looking down. "There's no way to fix my leg. It'll always be like this, your dad said so himself. I don't want to be weak and I don't want people to do things for me just because I'm fucking crippled."