AFI // Charity Ball (3)

First Dance Auction.

So, that's what it is, Pau thought.

As soon as dinner was finished and they were given about half an hour to down the meal, Calum went up to the stage and started talking through the microphone.

Pau watched him as his nasally yet melodic voice booms and fills the hall, aware of Ashton beside her. Calum announces the next activity, which is the First Dance Auction.

Basically, women who have volunteered will stand upon the crowd, have men bid on buying her first dance for that evening.

Calum goes through a list and as he mentions Paula's name, loud and clear, her whole body goes rigid. With shock and nervousness.

So they'll be bargaining for her first dance, that was Calum and Luke's request.

She slowly peeks up at Ashton whose eyes were as hard as stone, his knuckles white from balling them in his lap. He's angry.

"I-I didn't know.. Calum and Luke.." she trails off, her voice squeaky, she glanced around the table they earlier shared with Calum and Luke. Calum was up the stage, Luke was nowhere to be seen. No one to save her then. Their girlfriends were there though and were giving Paula apologetic looks.

"I can refuse and withdraw, if you don't want me to," she speaks up again, glancing back at Mister-Silent-But-Angry Irwin.

"Oh, shush, Paula. It's for charity. Get your ass up the stage," he states coldly, waving her off. Pau didn't know what to do but in the end, she reluctantly went up the stage, joining 10 or more ladies in there.

And the auction starts.

Paula stands fidgetting in a corner as ladies get their chances to spotlight and get bids on their dances. A few thousand bucks, rising every now and then to ten, the ladies begin to lessen and Paula's turn nears.

"And please welcome, Miss Paula," Calum introduces her, guiding her to center stage.

She looked at him accusingly but he smiled with that mysterious sparkle in his eyes.

"Alright, gentlemen. Behold! Do I even have to sugarcoat her with good points and attributes and accomplishments? One look at her and I might just bid to be her first dance as well! So, what shall you give me?"

Pau stands amidst the crowd, fighting the urge to cover her face in discomfort. Attention never pleased her. She rather stand in a corner on a timeout.

This is for charity, this is for charity, she chanted on her mind.

"Five thousand dollars," Ashton calmly calls out, eyeing Calum.

"Five grand for beautiful Paula here! Any more?" Calum's voice is challenging.

Ashton sits confidently in his seat, giving her the impression he won't let anyone else have her first dance. Of course, he should.

"Ten thousand," a firm -- yet Pau can trace a hint of mischief in it-- voice calls out from somewhere on the left side of the stage.

What the hell?

Paula quickly scans the crowd for the mysterious bidder and pretty soon she meets the gaze of a set of pale green eyes, so in contrast against the striking red tendrils of hair that fall around it.

Somebody dares to cross Ashton Irwin. Whoa.