CTH // Blind (5)

CALUM

I woke up to a painful throbbing in my eyes.

Squinting, I open my blurry vision to a white room and I wince as another stab of pain hit the back of my eyes.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, "Don't worry. You'll be a bit disoriented for more than a few days."

That was a doctor, I found out as I looked over. Behind him was my mom and I saw my dad, Michael and Mali on the couch across the room.

Their eyes were all bloodshot from crying and I was finally able to see my body. There were bandages everywhere, a huge cast on my right leg as it hung suspended in the air. I had tubes on my left arm that was also covered in bandages. My ribs ached as I took steady breaths. I felt awful.

"What happened, Mom?" my voice was raspy but I tried smiling to reassure my mom. She looked like she was on the verge of tears again.

She broke down and sat beside my bed, holding my free-lying hand, careful to move me. "Oh, son. We thought we've lost you!"

"Don't cry, Mom. I'm fine now, I think," I smiled down at her sobbing against my hand.

"But my daughter isn't," a voice suddenly chimes in.

I see Y/N's dad coming in, Y/N's mom trailing behind him.

"Uncle," I started. I've always been intimidated by Y/N's dad. Maybe because he doesn't approve of my friendship with her.

"Don't 'uncle' me," he said firmly but his voice broke. Tears slowly brimmed his eyes. "Because of you, my daughter - my daughter -"

"Honey, please," Y/N's mother comforted him as he struggle through the tears that started falling. This was probably the first time I've seen him cry. An unsettling feeling crept onto me.

"What happened to Y/N?" my voice was barely a whisper, suddenly nervous.

"As far as my daughter told me, you were in a car accident. One of the steel poles the truck was carrying grazed your eyes badly, your body terribly wrecked." Her father said, his eyes piercing through mine. Everybody was looking at him, wanting to know his story.

"As soon as Y/N found out, she flew back and went straight here, only to find your family desperately trying to find an eye donor. And as stubborn as my daughter was.." he took a shaky, tearful breath. "She gave you her eyes."

She gave you her eyes.

I felt numb all over, my hands slowly reaching up to my eyes, to her eyes, as I feel tears brimming on their edges. "What?"

I felt my lips shake, my throat constricting, my heart squeezed into pulp inside my chest. The pain at the back of my eyes intensified and I found it hard to breathe.

She did that for me?

"Y/N was the donor?" my mom gasps, almost mirroring the shock on my face and that shock was accompanied by pain.

"No." I whispered, my lip shaking. "No. No. No." My head snaps up, "Where is she?"

"I'm taking her back to the US. For good. We'll - We'll try to find a solution to her situation," he sobbed.

"Take back her eyes. I don't need it, I don't want it. I need her, I..." I choked on my words. "I love her. I'd rather be the blind. Not her please."

A weird feeling of calmness overcame me when I admitted it. Somehow, I felt at peace with my feelings, a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. But still, the pain slapped me back to reality. She's blind. She gave me her eyes. She's gone, they're taking her away.

Her mom looked at me with sadness in her eyes, "She'd given her eyes to you without our consent since she's already of legal age. Even if that's the case, she can't undergo any operation any time soon. The doctor said returning her eyes will only cause infection and further damage."

She sniffled a bit, "My daughter loves you very much, Calum. So much but I never thought she would be capable of going this far. My husband and I have decided to take things in our hands. We would like to ask you to stay away from our daughter, it's.. it's for the best."

I couldn't even say anything as the tears took over, everything clouding over.

"A nurse told me that before the operation, Y/N wrote something but threw it away, not wanting anyone to read but the nurse got it anyway and found out it was addressed to you," she said as she held out another slip of folded paper. "I didn't peek."

With trembling hands, I reached for it as she walked toward me. Then afterwards, she and uncle left.

Calum,

I wish you wake up to read this. I'd keep this short now, since I don't have much time.

The operation's starting soon. I hope it all goes well. I want you to see the world in my eyes. Do the things that would make you happy. 

I'm gonna survive, of course, but I don't think it's gonna be healthy if we still see each other. Well, we won't be exactly seeing, you'll only be the one seeing, then. Ha.

I still suck at jokes.

I refuse to see a world where your eyes don't shine. Keep mine shining.

Loving you always, Y/N.

This is worse than dying. I fucking wish I already did.