CTH // Vapor (5)

-

(pls play Story of Another Us)

-

Eventually, the time came for you to leave, for you to utter your last goodbye; the time for a last hug, the last time to drown in his beautiful brown eyes. There was tension in the hug, it hung in the air and stayed there.

"I don't want you to go," he said, his voice muffled as he buried his face in your hair. "I don't want to just let go, Sam."

"I know," you say, fighting off the tears. You didn't want him to see you cry for it will only make this harder than it already is. "But you have to."

"Just know that when you get to New York, I'd still love you. When you say 'I do' at church whenever the dreadful wedding happens, I'd still love you. Know that years from now when you completely forgot about me, I'd be here, loving you with all I have." His voice conveyed all the emotions he was feeling. Pain, love, sorrow, and everything else.

"Don't make this harder, Calum." You bit your lip as they quivered, and you felt the tears brimming, and you clutch him closer so he wouldn't see you cry.

"It's already so damn hard."

You pull away and wipe the incoming tears before they fall. "Just think about it this way, in some parallel universe, we'd be together. I didn't have to go, and I would spend the rest of my life waking up beside you in your beautiful house up in the mountains. We'd have tons of dogs and babies and we're going to be the two happiest people in the planet."

"Samara, that's a story of another us. What about this us? We get this? Heartbreak and a lifetime of sorrow?" His face contorted with pain, and desperation. "Three months of happiness, and that's it? That's all I'll ever get out of love?"

"You can choose to love again, Calum. There are plenty of other girls who deser—"

"But I want you! Dammit!" he pulls away completely and wipes his face with his palm in frustration. You see tears brimming in the edges of his eyes, and then he pulled you close, his lips crashing against yours in a long kiss. He pulls away, a tear finally falling on his right cheek. "I love you, Samara. What have I done for the universe to be this cruel to not let me have you?"

You shook your head. "You will find happiness, Calum. Trust me. I love you, and goo—"

"Please don't say goodbye, please."

So you didn't. You stared in each other's eyes and let the silence hang. Slowly, you start to pull away, your eyes saying most of what needed to be said. You took your luggage and made your way to the airport, leaving Calum standing in the middle of the deserted road.

You fought the urge to look back, silently weeping as you walked to the boarding lounge, feeling a huge part of your chest ripped off, left with Calum.

-

Calum stood there for what could be eternity.

He looked far past the road into the airport, not realizing she was gone. Not accepting the fact that she was going to be in one of the planes that would soon soar above him.

He had let her go.

But it wasn't because their love wasn't strong. It was because they love others, too. He would be too selfish if he makes Sam stay and let her friend lose his family's business, that would be cruel and he can't have Samara living the rest of her life in guilt for what she didn't do.

Maybe he and Samara were the sun and the moon.

Only meant to meet for a short period of time once every thousand years. Meant to share a beautiful kind of love but be taken in each other's arms.

The sun has set long ago when Calum finally started walking home. There was a part of him that dreaded a tomorrow of no Samara, hell, it was all of him that was pained, ruined and almost dying.

But maybe yes, he and Samara were the sun and the moon. And he'd be willing to wait until the next eclipse. Until then, he'd be the moon, watching her from afar, trying hard to reflect her light, never looking away, and never changing his course.