Chapter 2

3rd Person POV:

Damon watches the mystery girl as she makes her way back out of the woods. He leaves enough space between them that she is unaware he has begun to follow her.

He watches as she walks up to Elena, looks-wise the absolute double of Katherine. God, he misses her. But whoever this new girl was she might make the time he has left waiting for her slightly more interesting.

He followed the siblings back to their house noticing how different the girl was around Elena and Jeremy compared to him. She was rude to him, surly and bold. With them, she seemed meek... innocent. he wondered who she was putting on an act for, was it him or them. 

Logically it would make sense that it was him she was pretending for not her own siblings but he just didn't get that sense. She was getting more mysterious, and like Katherine, he did love cracking a good mystery.

The first thing he was able to solve was her name, he heard Elena call her "Nis" at the party, and once he followed them home and determined which window belonged to her bedroom his crow was able to spot the full name on one of her notebooks: Nyssa G.

Her room was creams and florals, it so didn't match the person he met earlier, his current working theories were she was some sort of supernatural form of bipolar, in the witness protection program for exceptional teenagers like a lame version of the x-men, or she was a fellow vampire with a strangely rapid heartbeat that was pulling off one hell of a long con.

He admitted he wasn't going to solve the mystery tonight so he recalled his bird and went home to torment his baby brother a bit.

Nyssa POV:

I acted so incredibly reckless tonight, why did I have to practically taunt that vampire? I for sure painted a bullseye right on my freaking back. Elena and Jeremy were both super freaked out over what happened to Vicki tonight, I felt guilty knowing I was most likely conversing with her attacker just moments before playing the concerned sister.

Coming home I just wanted to take a shower and climb into bed. As I entered my room something felt off, I noticed the window was opened, which was strange I definitely closed it before I left.

I sit in front of my vanity and study myself a bit. I have mousy faded auburn hair that's closer to brown than red, it hangs lifelessly around my shoulders. My eyes are brown and dull. Elena has brown eyes too but hers are a kaleidoscope of the most beautiful shades of russet. Mine was a solitary color that lacked any depth or variance.

I don't envy my sister, as much as I hated growing up as essentially a willing hostage, she and Jeremy really did mean something to me. I didn't love lying to them about myself but it was for the best. The truth would only hurt them and they were in enough pain. 

I only really had to fake it for another 2 years and then we would be "off at college" I didn't really have any plans on going but I would take the opportunity to leave all the same. What I would do after really depended on if I was able to make it 2 more years without triggering my change. 

I climb into bed and try to dream of what my life will look like away from Mystical falls, before I succumb to sleep I hear Stefan and Elena talking. As far as I know she's in her room and not talking on the phone to him which means he's on our roof outside her window. I think logistically how that would be possible and I can't see a normal teenager pulling it off at least not without a ladder which I would have heard cling against the house.

I think maybe there might be more than just one vamp in town.

Stefan: "I know it's late. But, uh...I needed to know that you were ok."

Elena: "You know, for months, that's all anyone's wondered about me. If I'll be ok."

Stefan: "What do you tell them?"

Elena: "That I'll be fine."

Stefan: "Do you ever mean it?"

Elena: "Ask me tomorrow. It's warmer in the house. We can talk. Would you like to come in?"

Stefan: "Yes."

For Elena's sake, I really hope I'm wrong.

3rd Person POV:

Early the next morning Jeremy goes into Nyssa's room and wakes her up.

He holds his finger to his mouth telling her to be quiet,

"What is it?" she whispers

"I need a ride to the hospital before school, can you take me?" he asks

She thinks about it for a moment rubbing the sleep out of her eyes, "yeah just give me a second."

"Awesome, I'll wait for you outside."

After getting dressed and washing her face, Nyssa takes Jeremy to the hospital and waits outside for him. She doesn't want to go inside knowing it might trigger her. Logically hospitals shouldn't be sexy places people are sick and dying but for some reason facing your mortality just get's human's going.

After Jeremy gets back in the car she asks how Vicki is doing,

"She lost a lot of blood but they're hopeful."

Nyssa reaches over and strokes Jeremy's arm, "she'll be okay,"

He nods really wanting to believe her.

As she starts to pull out she notices Stefan going inside, and wonders if he is also there to visit Vicki worried for her.

A/N: Because Damon followed Nyssa home he didn't meet or hook up with Caroline