Highlights

3rd Person POV:

John was being released from the hospital today and Jenna had gone to pick him up and drive him back to the house.

"I don't think this is a good idea, I should just stay in a hotel for while," he tells Jenna.

"How are we supposed to work together to protect the kids if you aren't here," she argues.

"Maybe it would be smarter to let them think I've left town."

"Look just come inside, at least stay here for tonight. Nyssa is still staying with Caroline, you can sleep in her room."

John agreed still feeling woozy from Damon's attack he was reluctant to be completely on his own this soon anyway.

They both came inside and Jenna helped him over to the couch giving him a pillow to support his bandaged hand on.

"How's the throbbing, do you need any painkillers?" She asks.

"Yes, all of them," he answers.

Just then Elena comes downstairs and is shocked still by seeing John in their home.

"What the hell, you are not staying here!"

"Elena! Your uncle was attacked of corse he's staying here," Jenna argues back shocked by her niece's behavior.

"No he's not, he put Nyssa in the basement thinking she was a vampire, we nearly lost her because of him that's why Damon attacked him!"

Jenna is shocked by Elena's words and turns to John, "is that true?"

"It's more complicated than that, I didn't think she was a vampire, but I know she's something, she's not human, I was just trying to protect you!"

"Killing my sister isn't about protecting me it's about satisfying your own out of control hatred for anything you don't understand," Elena argues back.

"I understand monsters just fine."

"Get out," Jenna tells him firmly.

He seems shocked, "we agreed-"

She cuts him off, "we agreed to do whatever it took to protect Miranda's kids, ALL of them. How dare you even show your face around here knowing what you did... oh god, is that why she hasn't come home? Is she afraid he might be here?"

Elena nods, and Jenna shakes her head in disbelief, "Get out John and don't you ever come back here."

"You don't get to make that call, does she Elena?" John asks.

Jenna rolls her eyes, "look whatever piece of information your gonna try and drop to get you out of this isn't going to work,"

"Not even learning I'm Elena's real father? She learned about it the day of the fire, didn't she tell you?" John asks thinking he's got them

"No, but I don't blame her who would want a would-be child murderer as their father, she was no doubt too ashamed to utter the words, now get out before I call the police and have you arrested!" Jenna tells him.

Realizing he's not going to be victorious in this moment John begrudgingly gets up but before he's out the door he turns back having to have the last word.

"Mark my words, Nyssa is not human, she heals too fast and is too strong to be human. You want to protect Miranda's kids? Time to admit Nyssa was never one of them."

With that he slams the door leaving the Gilbert house.

"I'm an idiot I'm sorry I was just trying to protect you guys," Jenna tells Elena.