Thirty-four

The elevator doors opened and Sarah came marching down the hallway, looking worried as fuck.

Still hot.

"Hey." She was almost out of breath as she reached us. "Is he okay? What happened?"

"Overdosed on heroin." Eli said as he stared down at his phone, and Sarah's eyes widened.

"But he'll be okay." Mia added. "He told the healers he was jumped and that that's why he's bruised all over his body."

"What?"

"Our parents are in there with him right now." Mia told her. "We aren't allowed in there all at the same time. I think we'll have to see him in pairs."

Sarah ran a hand through her hair as she sighed heavily, then walked over to sit next to me.

Mia had moved back over next to Eli so now with Sarah next to me, we sat in pairs.

"You found him." She looked at me. "Are you okay?"

I shrugged.

"I didn't know what was happening. I've never seen someone overdose before." I said. "But I'm alright. I— Alec's going to live so that's... that's what matters."

I looked down at my hands as I fidgeted with my rings. A few of them was mum's old rings that she gave me when I loved stealing and wearing them when I was little.

Mum had always been my role model. I saw her with tattoos with piercings and I wanted that too. I remember being so obsessed with it that mum bought some fake tattoos and helped me put them on my arms.

When I turned fifteen, mum went with me to get my septum pierced and the year after, she went with me to get the right side of my nose pierced as well.

I wanted to be like her.

I've always wanted to be like her.

"I'm gonna go." I spoke all of a sudden, causing the three to look at me.

"Go?" Mia asked. "But Alec—"

"I'll see him when he gets home." I said. "I just... I'm gonna go home."

I stood up and grabbed my jacket, realising that it was drenched, and so was the rest of my clothes.

My brother overdosed and I ended up on the ground, trying to save his life while it poured down. Of course I was soaked.

"Bree!" Eli called as I made my way down the hallway, but I ignored him and hurried into the elevator.

I thought it would be okay — that I would be able to see Alec after that, but I could feel how angry I was at him. He let me find him like that.

I went home, kicked off my shoes and threw my jacket on the floor before I ran upstairs. After finding some clean clothing, I walked into the bathroom I shared, made sure both doors were locked before I took a long shower.

After my shower, I grabbed my phone off my bed where I had left it, frowning at all of the times Adriana had called me.

I called her back as I crawled onto my bed and folded my legs.

It beeped a few times, then she picked up.

"Adri, hey." I breathed.

"Hey."

She sounded tired.

"You've called me nineteen times. I'm sorry I didn't pick up. I was in the shower."

"It's fine." She said with no expression in her voice. "I'm with Theo now so it's okay."

"What— Adriana—"