Chapter 44

Boom

Boom

They were so inside that little bubble of theirs that they never noticed what was happening around them. They just walked and talked, sometimes whispered and laughed, but they never stopped to think that maybe something was off. Because they were so happy that they didn't want their mood to change or to sour. They've cried too much this week and even more so before they met so it was also their subconscious minds the ones that only focused on the other and their happiness.

But, if they had been paying attention since they got out of the university, they would've noticed the lack of cars on the road and the lack of people in the streets and the mall. There were so fewer people than there usually were outside on a Saturday, it would usually be crowded with people everywhere, but there was barely a family or two in the park they had passed earlier and the only kind of people walking around was either grown or little.

A sad teenager here and there on their own in a corner looking down at their phones as if waiting for something could also be found.

An ominous feeling in the cold air making the gray clouds seem the perfect setting for something bad to happen was present everywhere.

Everything, every single thing about the outside today seemed to scream that something bad was about to happen, that's why Jungkook and Taehyung ignored it all and only focused on making the other laugh and smile as they chose the curtains and bought cutlery and bickered over Taehyung wanting Jungkook to paint his plates and decorate them as he wanted.

The clouds said it all, the heaviness in the air said it all, and if they had been paying attention to the newspapers this past week, they would've known that it had said it all, every single day. Though it hadn't started, it was right there ready to blow, and they were so utterly oblivious to what was happening around them that they just continued with their shopping.

That was, until some other thing entirely happened right in front of them and their bubble snapped momentarily.

They were heading back inside after leaving what they had bought in the car, heading over to the back of the mall where there was supposed to be a market with fruits, vegetables, and meat. They walked and talked, both hands on their pockets (since Taehyung had also left his briefcase), and they were passing through a corridor with less-visited restaurants on each side. Then suddenly, it happened.

Not too far from them, a tall guy and what seemed to be his father walked out of one of the restaurants. The father had stayed in the doorway as he talked a bit more to what seemed to be the manager while the son looked around just for something to do.

And the moment Jungkook's and that guy's eyes locked, they both froze in place.

Taehyung froze beside him, mid-conversation, and Jungkook was sure he also looked in the direction he was staring at, but for him, that guy would just be a stranger. Unlike what it was to Jungkook. Or... what it once had been.

Jungkook panicked and started breathing fast as he took a step back and his hands got out from his pockets to tighten into fists. A reaction that had once been an everyday thing came back to him as suddenly as the blood that started pumping fast in his veins.

The guy had seen him, opened his eyes wide, and took a step back. Immediately, he flinched, frightened, and looked to his side, at his father's back, then back to Jungkook. And with a tense little shake of the head, he secretly motioned Jungkook to leave quickly with one of his hands before he positioned himself at his father's side, to block him from being able to glimpse at Jungkook.