Chapter 47

Periculo Amorem

Dangerous Love

It took them some time to finally calm down.

They sat at a little table in the cafe, far inside so the people watching the telly wouldn't pay them too much attention, and next to a window so they could get clear air. Without asking for anything to eat or drink, they simply went in and sat down, one before the other, with the little round table in their midst. They thought silently as they looked outside at the darkening sky, and if it hadn't been for the waitress that came to ask them personally if they wanted anything, they would've probably stayed there until their bodies had given out. In low voices, they asked for two large americanos, a couple of sandwiches, and a plate of cookies. And they must've looked terrible because the waitress brought them what they asked for in less than five minutes, and added two cups of very strong tea "courtesy of the house". Everyone must be shaken by the commotion, it seems.

No words were exchanged as they ate, but none were needed, only their presence before the other was enough to soothe. So they exchanged glances, tilted heads, frowns, and little smiles, and Jungkook glanced around before passing him one of his cookies with a wink. The meal had been exactly what they most needed to calm down and relax. Though they were still feeling terrible for Edward and Audrey and Taehyung looked at his phone every minute or two, their hearts weren't obstructing their throats any longer.

Thanks to (or because of) everything that took place about an hour ago, Raphael had been nearly erased from Jungkook's memory once more. Just nearly. Because he could indeed remember what had happened, but it didn't strike him as terribly as it did when it was happening. All thanks to (more like, because of) the box he put over his feelings, so now he could watch what happened in perspective and feel nothing of it, and that was what he was doing right now.

As Taehyung finished his coffee -and with that, finishing his meal- he looked at his phone one more time. But this time, he took it at once and unblocked it to answer the message. Jungkook was looking at him, hoping immensely that the kids were having a comfortable rest either at their house or at the hospital, and he took his cup to finish his tea which he had left for last because of its previous temperature. And he thought.

Why had Raphael and his father been in that mall? It was a Saturday at three in the afternoon, anybody else would've seen that as merely son and father quality time, however, Jungkook knew better. He knew more.

The dream Raphael's father always had was of having his son as his second, right at his side, doing what's right for this country, and because he had always been a direct and combative man, he had taken the saying "if you want it, take it" religiously. Jungkook knew that man had always been overambitious by what Raphael had told him; he had to battle his way up and up, always refusing to take "no" for an answer, and that didn't stop even when he had his son. His first and only child, a male, just like he wanted. Looking at it in perspective, the outcome was obvious when his son came to him and told him he had dreams of his own.

A man who had always been in control and would never take a negative will stop at nothing to always get what he wants. So he indeed ended up forcing his precious son to do what he wanted him to do. And Jungkook shuddered at the thought of what this man must've done to break his son into submission.

So, Raphael must be his second, and to do that, he needed to be by his side more often than not, to receive orders from him. Even if he still had three years to finish his education and two more to get the ranking his father wanted him to have, perfection was a rule, not even the man himself would break. And for that to happen, they had to work every day at all times, diligently and religiously.