Chapter 1

Initium novum

New beginning

Sunday, 8th of September 2019, 6:00 AM

House in Bradford.

Stretching an arm to his nightstand, Jungkook turned off the alarm on his phone and folded his arms over his chest again, looking into the empty spaces of his bookshelf.

He was trying to find the excitement he should be feeling.

Waking up numb after a night of great distress wasn't unusual but he hoped it would stop before going to breakfast.

Knowing his parents would be waiting for him downstairs, he pushed off the blankets and covers and stood to get to the bathroom.

This was the day he was leaving to go to the University of Evanthe. He had been seventeen when he told his parents what he wanted to study over dinner, and now, after graduating from school with honors and two years of academic qualifications with perfect results, it's the day he'll go to the campus where he'll start his life as a twenty-one years old adult along with his two best friends.

He knew something in all this was the reason for last night's panic, but he couldn't remember.

Slowly, his feelings started making themselves present. Yet the first thing he felt was disappointment. He had been hoping to feel the excitement he remembered in his sibling's faces when they left for Evanthe, but instead, he fell asleep in terror. It was frustrating to think he was moving out of his parent's house into a beautiful place he'll share with his two best friends to study something he chose and have one of the biggest libraries in the world just around the corner, and not feel happy about it.

He wanted to feel victorious, overjoyed, free. Instead, he could barely look at the tired expression reflected in the mirror.

Mechanically, he brushed his teeth and cleaned his face.

Evanthe hadn't always been his dream university, but only because he didn't have a dream before meeting the place. Thinking about his future didn't always come easily for him, and talking about his future rarely ignited a civil or serious conversation with his family. However, the surprise hadn't come from the choice of University, instead, it was the major that ignited confusion.

Unlike his siblings, who chose predictable paths and had always talked of Evanthe as if there could be no other, Jungkook chose an academic path instead of an artistic one. His parents, who believed had been nurturing his talent for it to be more than a mere hobby, were quite displeased with his choice and, more so, the lack of explanation.

But, as much courage as he could muster, he couldn't tell them why he chose philosophy any more than why he chose Evanthe. Better to leave them to believe he wanted to be a scholar and go to that university for the academic and professional benefits instead.

In reality, it would be quite unlikely for him to ever forgive Evanthe, no matter how beautiful it is. His parents used to neglect him as a child in their quest to work in Evanthe. His siblings rarely spend time with him in their own quest to study there. And, when he was twelve and the university hired his parents, he was forced to leave behind his only two best friends.

But regardless of whether he felt attachment or loathing to this university, it seemed his fate was set in stone long before he had his dream. But there's no reason to dwell on it right now.