23

Stella's POV

"Will they like me?" Kristie asks.

"My Mom will." I say as we turn onto the street taking us to Johns Hopkins Hospital. "And frankly I don't care if her husband likes you or not."

I have a month in between races and Kristie has an off week so I'm introducing Kristie to my Mom today.

"Why?" Kristie asks.

"He thinks I'm abandoning the family by chasing my dreams." I say. "He even blames me for my mom being sick."

"I'm sorry baby." Kristie says as she runs her thumb over my knuckles.

"It's fine." I say. "We've grown apart since Rayne was born."

"Why?"

"I'm not his child."

"Oh.

"Yep." I say. "He also beat my mom so fuck that dude"

"When did he find out?"

"When Rayne was one day old." I say. "I didn't want him in her life so I told him all of this and neither mom or I have seen him since."

"Oh."

"Yeah." I say. "My family life is a bit fucked up."

"What type of Cancer does your mom have?"

"Terminal Ovarian Cancer." I say. "Stupid Johnson & Johnson."

"Wait was she apart of that lawsuit?"

"Yeah." I say. "When they won she gave Rayne and I all the money."

"...Oh."

"Yeah..." I say then sniffle a bit.

"And who's the women we left Rayne with?" Kristie questions.

"My Mom's best friend whom Rayne loves." I say as we pull up to Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Once we're stopped in front of the hospital, Kristie and I get out, valet the car, then we head into the hospital.

The two of us then get in an elevator and head up to the chemotherapy area of the hospital.

When we get to the chemotherapy area of the hospital I head to the front desk to check us in

"Hey Stella." Linda, one of the nurses, says.

"Hey Linda."

"Your Mom's Chemo was two days ago so she's up in her room." Linda says.

"Guess I got my days mixed up" I say. "How'd she do?"

"She did great." Linda says. "She wasn't sick this time so that's good."

"Great." I say with a smile. "Well I guess i'm gonna go up and see my Mom now."

"Alright." Linda says then I head over to Kristie.

"Everything okay?" Kristie asks as she stands up.

"I got my days mixed up." I say as we leave the chemo area. "Mom's appointment here was two days ago so she's up in her room."

"Her room?" Kristie says as we get to an elevator.

"When Mom has her monthly chemo treatments she stays in the hospital for a couple days after because she doesn't react well to the chemo." I say as we get on the elevator then I press the button for Mom's floor.

"Is it worth doing if it makes her sick?" Kristie ask

"This was her last one." I say as we reach Mom's floor. "Mom's just gonna enjoy the rest of her life from now on."