91. Go Big or Go Home pt. 10

By: @serendipityswan

Jungkook starts his usual competition routine when he arrives to the event site. The weather is gorgeous with the sun shining brightly making the snow glisten below him. He heads to his designated tent with Namjoon by his side, occasionally high fiving and wishing the other snowboarders good luck as they return to sentiment.

"So what's the plan?" Namjoon asks as he usually does.

"First run the safe jump. Depending on how that scores I'll go harder for the second. And third is-"

"Go big or go home," they say in unison before both laughing. Once they've calmed down, Namjoon is quick to pull the younger into a hug, squeezing him tightly through their puffer coats.

"I'm so proud of you Kookie," Namjoon says when he pulls back, putting both hands on either side of Jungkook's shoulder. "No matter the results, you're the best athlete in my eyes."

"Thanks hyung," Jungkook says with a big smile before lunging into another hug making them both laugh harder.

"Okay enough feelings. You're going sixth, so right in the middle. Should probably do your warmups now. You know how quick these runs can be and there are only twelve of you total."

Jungkook nods with a big grin, so thankful for Namjoon being his constant support system for everything. He focuses his attention on his warmup and before he knows it, the finals have begun.

As he ascends to the top of the slope, his mind drifts to Jimin. He can't help but want the skater to be at the bottom of the jump like he was last weekend. He knows it is wishful thinking, but he can't stop the small part of his heart that still really wants Jimin to be his.

Once at the top, it is time to focus. Jungkook takes his place to the back, waiting for the fifth boarder to do his turn before taking his place at the starting spot. The signal the guy before him that he can go and he does, Jungkook quickly taking his preferred starting point for his first jump.

With the signal he can go and a deep breath, Jungkook is flying down the slope towards the ramp. He does his trick, his landing a bit bumpy but stable still as he stutters to a stop at the bottom. He is met with many strangers looking at him from the other side of the barricade, some cheering for him as he steps out of his board and waves to them politely. He scans the crowd as he steps over to the score announcement zone and sees no familiar face besides Namjoon's.

Shouldn't get my hopes up.

Jungkook leans against his board as he waits for his score patiently. It is quickly announced to him and he feels his stomach drop a bit.

74.75

He tries his best to remain neutral with his reaction until he heads for Namjoon, worrying his bottom lip as he steps past the barricade.

"Hey still a good first jump," Namjoon says quietly.

"That score is lower than the qualifiers version," Jungkook confides.

"And only your first jump of three. You always do better when you go big anyway."

Jungkook nods, lifting his head to look off in the distance which is when he sees a familiar person walking into the crowd.

"Hyung! Taehyung is here!" Jungkook whispers, pointing in the direction he saw the man.

"Okay and?"

"Maybe Jimin-hyung is here," Jungkook says with a hopefully tone and look in his eye.

"Maybe. But stay focused okay?" Namjoon says, patting his shoulder as a sign to follow him. With a nod he does, looking back over his shoulder for any chance at seeing the skater.